Tuesday, March 8, 2011

1 Hour Maxi Skirt Tutorial


Welcome to Fashion Week: Day 3


I love the look of long flowing maxi-skirts and I long to own one that I can throw on with flip-flops and a t-shirt. The same effort as sweat pants and a t-shirt, but with a lot more sophistication. The problem is that every time I try them on they look awful. Most of them are made with horizontal strips of fabric. Bless you if you can wear horizontal stripes around your thighs and booty-I can not.


I bought this green fabric a while ago on clearance. It is pretty, but a pain to iron and I thought it would make the perfect maxi-skirt.


I think this was harder to explain then to make.


Step One: Measure your waist.


Step Two: Multiply your waist measurement by 1 1/2 to 3 (depending on how full you want your skirt). This is the width of fabric. For example if you have a 25 inch waist, you will need to cut your fabric between 37 and 75 inches long.


Step 2: Decide how long you want your skirt and trim it if needed. (I left mine pretty much the width of the fabric, b/c I'm lazy).


Step 3: You need to make a casing for the elastic. To do this fold the top over at least 1.5 inches and then repeat so you've made a little fabric tunnel. Mine was bigger, because I was too lazy to trim it.




Step 4: Sew the casing down.


Step 5: Cut a piece of elastic to your waist measurement.
Step 5: Attach a safety pin to the end of the elastic and thread it through the casing. Pin the elastic at each end.


Step 6: Sew the edge of your skirt (right sides together), making sure you catch the elastic at each end


Step 7: You could hem your skirt, but I just left mine with the edge of the fabric. There wasn't any printing on it, so I figure why bother w/ the hem.




Step 8: Wet the skirt and twist it to ring out excess water. Untwist and hang to dry. It should make really cool wrinkles. This is awesome, because it looks great and you NEVER have to iron it. Ever.





Tadaa! (or weirdest wreath ever)




Just to recap:


I made it under an hour, I will NEVER have to iron it, it looks great w/ a t-shirt and flip flops, and I didn't evern have to hem it. I think I'm going to make some more.


If anyone else makes one, link back here-I'd love to see what you make.


Click here to find some other fun ideas for your spring wardrobe.






Linking up here.

Pin It












23 comments:

  1. I love the 'wrinkle' technique - I will have to try it :) can't wait for spring - to start wearing all the fun skirts again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I need to get some fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have to use a certain type of fabric or will the wet/wrinkle effect work on all types of fabric?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think any 100% cotton fabric will work. You wouldn't want it very thick-this was just regular calico type fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I loved the fabric and thought it looked familiar . . . then realized I used the blue version of this same print to make a baby quilt a while ago! This came out cute :-)

    Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!!! you should post pics of you wearing it!

    Cardigans and Cookie Dough

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made one of these, and I love it! Super simple! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the crinkly effect!!! I've just read the comments and my question is answered re doing this with cotton fabric. I'll have to try this next Summer (we're nearing the end of Summer now). Love the colour, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very cute! Thank you, I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried it out and loved the result! I was a little short of fabric, so I added a flaired hem.
    http://mallypikachu.tumblr.com/post/24494221457

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wear it with pleasure
    P.S. have you ever tried a Wrap around skirt ,,, they are soooooo lovely to wear .
    mirjam

    ReplyDelete
  12. do you think you could make it out of a bed sheet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most sheets are made not to wrinkle. I'd try step #8 and see if it worked, before I took the time to sew it.

      Delete
  13. So after you guide the elastic thru you don't sew the elastic together first? You just sew the edges together along with the elastic? I'm kinda lost on that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, I guess I forgot that part. I always try it on before I sew the edges of elastic together. Sometimes, when I sew for my daughter, I just leave the safety-pin and then let the elastic out as she grows.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I haven't made this skirt for a while, and just read how I did it. If you haven't sewn the sides together yet, safety pin the elastic to each side of the fabric, when you sew up the seam, the elastic will catch in the seam. I hope that makes sense.

      Delete
    3. Ok that makes sense now. Thanks!! I can't wait to make myself one.

      Delete
  14. Love this skirt! It was so easy... I literally just finished mine. Since I made mine a little slimmer, I added a slit up the side to about my knee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! And I have to say...I love finding another seamstress who sews like I do: yeah, I could measure/trim/hem more exactly...but why stress about it? ;-) This way is quick, easy, & low-stress!

    ReplyDelete