Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sewing 101 Week 5: Pintucks


Welcome to week # 5 of:
You can find weeks 1-4 HERE.

Today I want to talk about pin tucks -I confess, that I am a little in love with them.  Check out my Pinterest Pin Tuck Board.  Pin tucks are when you make a narrow fold purely for decorative purposes.  They can be a little tedious, but are not difficult and add a little special touch to garments. 

I love this skirt from The Loft.  It is $59.50 and sold out super fast-b/c it is adorable.   I thought it would be a great skirt to knock-off for this week's lesson.

Choosing fabric: Pin tucking will add extra weight to your garment, so pick something light, that will form a crisp fold when ironed.  I would avoid large patterns.  I choose a bright blue summer linen blend. My fabric was 58 inches wide, so I only needed 1 1/4 yards.  I had a coupon so it cost me a little over $8.


To figure out how much fabric you need, we have to do math.  (Don't freak out  it's easy math).
1. Decide how long you want the finished skirt to be. Ours was 22 inches.
2. Add 2 inches for the waist band and 2 inches for the hem.
3. Add 1/2 inch for each pintuck.  I did 11 pintucks, so I added 5.5 inches.
 This gives me a total length of 31.5 inches




4. To find the width, measure your waist. My daughter's is 26. If you want it a little fuller than the original add a few inches. (I added 8)


5. Cut 2 pieces of fabric your desired length and width.
Mine were 35 wide and 31.5 inches long.


We are basically going to be making the skirt from week 2. ( I did use 1 inch elastic this time). So go  make that skirt and then come back here and I'll show you how to make pin-tucks.  
 Welcome Back!  Let's continue.

Decide where you want your pintucks. Place pins to mark it all the way around the skirt.


 Now fold the fabric over the pins. Iron in place.
 Then, remove the pins and place on top to hold it into place. (I lost the pic of the next step-sorry).  Line up the edge that you just pinned with the edge of your presser foot on your machine. Sew all the way around the skirt.  This will give you a 1/4 inch pin tuck


Finally, I iron pin tucks toward the bottom of the skirt. Measure, pin, sew, iron repeat until you are done.


 FYI: I began my next row 3/4 of an inch underneath the first. You will need to adjust your measurements depending on the length of the skirt, but here they are for a 22 inch long finished skirt.




FYI #2, it takes me about 10 minutes for each pin tuck, so you may just want to start w/ a few (after 11 rows, I decided The Loft skirt was a real bargain.  You can also make wider or narrower pin tucks, by adjusting your seam allowance. 


To finish,  cut a strip of fabric for the bow. Fold in half, sew and turn inside out. Sew on skirt.


Please let me know if anything was unclear, but hopefully you just made a really cute skirt.


My daughter declared this her favorite thing I've ever made and she is going to wear this on Easter Sunday. I'll post a pic of her later. 
Update: Easter morning pics:




To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It


I feel super cool that this project was featured at:






A Little Knick Knack



thanks for the shout-out!

44 comments:

  1. That is a great looking skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clear tutorial and pretty skirt. Love the blue color, very summer look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome - glad you posted this on a link party or else I would never have stumbled across it. It's going on my to do list. The mile long one, but it's there, nonetheless. :) Have a great night!
    Jess @
    tupelocreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have a whole Pinterest board for pintucks. :) The skirt turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved pin tucks ever since Mum put them on my school uniform blouse when I was 15. The skirt looks great with the horizontal pin tucks. Great way to jaz up a solid colour, with no extra expense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love it! I am totally going to knock off your knock off. Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tutorial. I like the way they look, but I"m a little scared of the amount of work. I had a pair of jeans once that was pintucked lengthwise down the front. I LOVED them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I would love you to share this at my blog party this weekend. Hope you can join in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I've been toying with the idea of doing something pintucked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to be featuring you tomorrow morning on Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button.

    Danielle
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great skirt---and I'm a total fan of pintucks as well. LOVE this project!
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally wish I could sew! Love your tutorial....maybe I'd be able to actually do it! Thanks for linking up at Reasons To Skip The Housework!


    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    {azparis@me.com}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to Make it monday! I've shared your link with the BRASSY apple FB and twitter followers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! This skirt is too cute! I would love one of these- but I haven't ventured into the land of sewing yet.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is aDORable! Love the pintucking and the color too!! And the bow. Ok, I love the whole thing! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Featuring this tomorrow at One Artsy Mama's Top 10 Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the length of this skirt! You did a great job! It looks good on her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful skirt! And such a great tutorial, too. Had to give it a feature today! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome ! love the skirt.
    leena

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bars of pintucks look really stylish! Great skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The skirt is soo cute, I love it, great job!!
    www.newlifeovernight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. loving this, can't wait to follow your tutorial. Pinning this!
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love love this! :) Super cute! :)

    Thanks for sharing! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice tutorial! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your skirt looks great & so does your tutorial. Thank you for linking up on Fabulous Friday. By the way, I'm hosting a fun giveaway. You're invited to pop over & enter: http://michellelunt.blogspot.com/2012/04/fun-giveaway-and-thank-you-to-my.html

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  26. so cute

    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday link party. hope to see you there today!

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found you through Brassy Apple... Such a cute knock-off and easy to do (as long as you have patience!!). Come follow me at... www.MustardSeedsOK.blogspot.com

    xoxo
    Rulissa

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this. Thank you for making and sharing this. I can't wait to make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. خبرة الطبيب وتمرسه في إجراء عمليات التكميم هو سبب بحث المرضى ممن يسعون لعمليات التكميم عن افضل دكتور تكميم في الاردن .

    ReplyDelete
  33. Shadow Creation is the process to change the color of an image or video..Shadow Creation It means correcting the lighting, white color balance, red or blue color balance, so that the image looks more clear or natural

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love those skirts and i am really looking forward to buy some of them.your blog is awesome i am following your blog🙂. We are providing background removal service for your business.
    Are you professional photographers, photography agencies, eCommerce retailers? If so Orbit Graphics is the right co-partner for your eCommerce product photo editing solutions including background removal service.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. افضل شركات نقل العفش مع الفك وتركيب والتغليف بافضل الخامات بالاضافة الى تعقيم الاثاث والسيارات المجهزة لنقل العفش من خلال شركة انوار الحرمين المتميزة فى هذا المجال من سنوات طويلة اكسبتها الخبرة والمصداقية
    اهم الخدمات التى تقدمها شركة انوار الحرمين فى مجالات نقل العفش

    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض

    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف

    شركة نقل عفش بتبوك

    شركة نقل عفش بجازان

    شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط

    شركة نقل عفش بحفر الباطن

    شركة نقل عفش بالجبيل

    شركة نقل عفش بالاحساء

    شركة نقل عفش بالخبر

    ReplyDelete
  37. Now, let me ask you this: do you really want to be just another cookie-cutter lost ark sorceress pve build, following the same old boring build as everyone else? Where's the fun in that? Why not spice things up a bit and create your own unique build?

    Here's an idea: why not go full-on support mode and become the ultimate heal bot for your party? Who needs all that damage anyway? Just keep your teammates alive and watch them do all the work while you sit back and relax.

    Or, if you're feeling adventurous, why not try a "butterfly build" where you equip only butterfly-themed items and spells? Sure, it might not be the most effective build out there, but at least you'll look fabulous while you're flitting around the battlefield.

    In all seriousness though, Lost Ark is all about having fun and experimenting with different builds, so don't be afraid to try something new and unique. Who knows, you might just stumble upon the next meta build and become a legend in the Lost Ark community. Happy gaming, my fellow adventurer!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fast and reliable solution..

    I was cured from Herpes with herbal med..

    Fix Relationship/marital problem,

    Thanks to (Robinsonbuckler11@ gmail com)

    ReplyDelete