Monday, April 9, 2012

Knock-Off Monday: Wrap Dresses


My daughter and I needed some new clothes.  We decided to go window shopping on line and pin all of our favorites-"pindowshopping".  Then we went and bought fabric and patterns to achieve the looks for less. Checkout our board here.  Please join me every Monday (until I get bored) to see me knock-off the latest fashions.

I love a good wrap dress.  Figuring flattering and timeless-here are 2 inspirations:

wrap dress
Gap $60
wrap dress

I found this pattern: McCalls 6024 $.99

M6024

I started w/ view C (the black and white one), but the flounce looked stupid-I looked like a clown and that's just not what I was going for.  It might have worked better w/ a thinner fabric, but I picked it all out and and sewed the facing back on w/out the flounce.  I've got to say, that I'm pretty pleased w/ the results.  The pattern was pretty straight forward, I wouldn't tackle it for your first sewing project, but if you are an intermediate seamstress give it a try. FYI: I added a pleated ruffle to the bottom.

Have you ever worn a wrap dress outside when the breeze blew your dress wide open?  EMBARRASSING! Not wanting to flash my local congregation, I took some hot pink satin and made a simple skirt (I made it using this technique here).  Also check out the paint on my leg.  I didn't notice it until my hubby pointed it out in church.  I'm starting a new trend:)
FYI: I'm doing a pleated ruffle skirt lesson for my Sewing 101 on Friday. My sister is at this very minute picking up my new niece in Korea and I want to make here a skirt.

Pin It
To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.


I so appreciate being featured by:

15 comments:

  1. I love it! I love the color and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love wrap dresses! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job. I love the pleated ruffle you added.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I REALLY love your dress! And you look very pretty modeling it! :-)

    Where did you find the pattern? I think I need this one. Also, I'd love to know how you did your pleated ruffle, maybe you could do another one of your wonderful how-to's?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wrap dresses, but somehow, I don't own any. Lol, definitely designed for slips though.:)
    And the ruffle is amazing.
    Huge congrats to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice dress - I like that you made the coordinating underskirt! Nice work.

    Jess @
    TupeloCreative

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love it!

    I have been thinking about doing the same thing I have stocked up on some fabrics and am hoping to get some time soon to actually sit down and make myself some new clothes.

    Thanks for much for linking up to the And Sew We Craft Together Linky Party x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it in the pink! So fun for spring. Maybe I will try to tackle a wrap dress when my sewing skills graduate to intermediate. Right now they are somewhere north of beginner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I'm jealous of your sewing skills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute!

    this dress
    looks so much
    like one on mikarose.com
    that i'm coveting

    great job
    and thanks for sharing
    at Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooo! I love that pattern! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like I randomly have paint on me ALL the time! I love the dress and the little skirt under it is so smart! Thanks for sharing with us!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is super cute! I also love that you put a skirt underneath it because I have had that happen before while wearing a wrap skirt...I'm featuring this on my blog Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Featuring YOU today. Thank you for sharing at {wow me} wednesday! :)

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/04/take-look-at-you-my-favorites_19.html

    ReplyDelete