Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How to make $ with your computer


Updated 1/04/2012

First of all, I'd be far better off working just about anywhere else if this was just about the money.  I blog for fun, but earning a little money helps me justify the time I spend doing this.  I'm new to all this blogging and am no way an expert, but I thought I'd pass a long what I've learned.  It may be poor manners to discuss money, but I'm putting what I've earned out there so you can judge for yourself if it's worth it.


Google AdSense
So you may have noticed that my blog now has ads.  If you want to make some $ off your blog, go to your dashboard and click "monetize" and follow the directions. I've seen google AdSense on other blogs, but never added it because I didn't know if it would be worth it.  I know it's rude to discuss money, but  I'm throwing etiquette aside so you can decide if it's worth it to you.   So far today I've made a whopping $.02, but I've made about $25 in the past week. I average about 1000 page views/ day. The more people that click on the ads, the more money you earn.  So even if you only have 25 page views but they all click on an ad, you can make some money. It's a big no-no to tell people to click on your ads and google will drop you. However, if you are visiting a blog and there is an ad for something you are genuinely interested in, click away. (especially if you are on my blog)


The ads that pop up crack me up.  Whatever word I mention in a post, suddenly a product w/ that word pops up. Sometimes they have nothing to do w/ my blog.  I've clearly got to do some more craft posts, b/c today all the ads are about skin cancer and investing.

Amazon Associates

I signed up for this the same day as AdSense, but I haven't made any money yet.  Although, I did put their ads at the bottom of my page, so it might be my fault.  When I added them at the top, they kept showing up on top of the posts, and I thought that was annoying.  If you're interested, you can also sign up by clicking the "monetize" button. 
UPDATE: I canceled it, I wasn't making anything and it was just junking up my blog


Social Spark
I signed up for this a month ago.  Basically how it works is that you get offers to write blog posts and then you get paid if they are accepted.  I've gotten offers for about 25-30 companies, but have only accepted the one for Kidzmet and I earned $15. I'm probably too picky about what I blog about.  I am just not good at gushing about a products that I have no intention of ever using, nor do I feel it's very honest. For example, I've gotten a few for online dating services and I just didn't feel that I could blog much about that. Although it might have been funny. I have decided only to accept offers to blog about products I would use and things I think would interest my readers.
UPDATE: Social Spark made me the most $ last year. I've made close to $350 since writing this post.
If you're interested click here  (I'd really appreciate it if you signed up through me-I get a little commision)  .
You blog. You Profit. Sign up for SocialSpark!




Swagbucks
We've also recently signed up for Swagbucks.  You earn points by using it as a search engine, taking surveys, watching videos, playing games, buying Groupons, shopping online etc. I figured that since I do all those things anyway, I might as well earn some cash and prizes. Then you can trade in those points to earn prizes.



 My kids are a little obsessed.  They are trying to earn an Ipod Touch (22,000 points).  At their current rate, they should earn one in about a year.  If you want to check it out, click on the button in the top right corner of this blog.  You have to install their tool bar, but it works as well as my old tool bar and in about a year my kiddo's can get an Ipod Touch. I don't really see a down side.
Click on this button to sign up.
Search & Win
I think I may also earn some extra swagbucks if you sign up through me and that would make my kid's day:)
UPDATE: My kids work this way more than I do.  They take all the surveys to try and earn swagbucks and they've earned several $5 gift cards.  I just use the search engine and buy the occasional Groupon and have earned about 3000 Swag bucks (which I could trade in for $30 of gift cards. I didn't do anything that I wouldn't have done anyway, so it's like getting free $.



UPDATE:  I just became a Shabby Apple Affiliate.  Basically I will get a portion of any sales from traffic from my site.


Dresses from Shabby Apple
Linking up here.
You might also enjoy: 10 Things I hate about your blog
and I made a button

Pin It

30 comments:

  1. please explain how to become a follower and what that means and also how to leave a comment and what the "Select profile" means.
    This is of course for the few of us un-savy blog readers out there.
    PS I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly me,
    I just found the blog I tried to start a couple of years ago by choosing google account for the "select profile".
    Well I really need to get dressed and get some work done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a follower means:
    You are a fan of the blog
    If your click on your dashboard you can check out what all the blogs you are following are doing. To get to your dashboard you need to be signed in. Then if you click on either "new post" or design it will take you to where you can find your dashboard. Your dashboard can tell you all kinds of stuff.

    I become a follower of any blog I read regularly or any blog I steal an idea from. It makes it easy for me to find it again (it's automatically added to my dashboard). I also delight in each and every new follower so it's my way of saying, "great blog-please keep up the good work.

    In case you're worred, it doesn't mean that the blog host will contact you in anyway or send spam e-mails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to blogging to, so thanks for this information. I often wondered if it was a scam? I live in Canada, so I was not sure if this would apply to me, and if I'd actually get paid...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I signed up I had to put in what country I lived in, so I don't think you have to live in the US

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! As a new blogger I appreciate all these little tips!! Lovely blog you have

    Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question...do you ever encourage your followers to click the ads. I am soooo tempted but then I think it seems tacky! But those ad clicks add up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Google says it's a big no-no and they will drop you if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Signed up for social spark with your link!!

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It's GREAT to hear first hand the real scoop. Thanks BUNCHES for linking this up to the BLOG TIPS Cafe party over at my place! We're all learning a LOT over there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info....it's very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH, I found you on lovely crafty weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and I respect your honesty about making money. No one that I have seen ever gives specifics so it's this big mystery! You have some great tips and give me something to think about. Happy New Year to you!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tips, I didn't know about the social spark one, but will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. Thanks I think I will give Social spark a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found you over at Fabulous Finds, thanks so much for posting this, I've got some Foodie Blog roll ads on my blog but that's it. When I started my blog I had the ad sense but didn't like the ads they were posting, now I know how they're selected. Going to give the Spark a try but you are so right, I'd have to love what I'm writing about to accept the "job", Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. GREAT tips!

    I keep hearing about Social Spark. Will have to check it out!


    Thanks SO much for linking up your awesome posts @ Feature Friday Free-for-All!

    P.S. I'm your newest follower and would be so honored if you'd follow my blogging journey as well (if you don't already! : )).

    ~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for throwing etiquette aside and posting this info. I've been wondering about these things but unsure about how to find out ... i.e., I didn't want to seem crass by asking other bloggers. So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This has probably been the most informative blog I've read about the monetary issue. I just recently signed up with AdSense, but doubt I will make much from it since I seem to have a hard time getting readers to my blog. It's increasing daily, it seems. I just had my first 2 ad clicks yesterday. Do you know much about BlogHer? I applied there, but it takes 45 days to get approval. People are VERY secretive about the monetary info, even with what places are good or who to avoid. Thanks for your insight on who you've dealt with so far!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the info! New Follower! You can visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ Thanks! SHay

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this! So informative and honest. I am clueless and so it was refreshing to read this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. stumbled onto your blog from Tatertots and Jello. I love your humor paired with good information. I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was the best post ever- so honest. Thanks for the tip on Social Spark. I've never heard of that one but will look into it via your link.

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the valuable info! I've seen a lot of 'Blog Tips' post and this is by far the most useful because you added actual $$ figures, really helps put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing tips! Thank you so much for linking up to Fresh Fridays on Release Me Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great info ! I too like the honesty and humor in your blog. Do you know anything about Blue Market? They contacted me about doing posts on products /etc. for $15 a post, but they have only sent me one so far and it was nothing that interested me. And like you, I can't see writing a post that isn't relevent to my blog in any way. I signed up with Social Spark quite awhile ago but haven't heard anything from them, it was before I had Google Anyiltics running properly. Do you think it would be worth signing up again? Again, thanks for all your tips.I'm following now - don't want to miss anything!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Haven't heard of Blue Market. I've signed up w/ a few other sites, but have never gotten any jobs. Maybe I just don't have enough readers? I don't think it would hurt to try to sign up again, or at least check to see if your application went through the first time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great tips

    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday link party
    Hope to see you there again this week
    http://serenityyou.blogspot.com/search/label/Serenity%20Saturday

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  29. Posted a link to this post on my blog

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/recap-of-week-4-of-5-weeks-of-kindness.html

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete