Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pettiskirt tutorial


I found my daughter a yellow swiss-dot dress that was absolutely adorable-except for the fact that it was see-through.  I thought a white cotton pettiskirt would make it cuter and a little more appropriate for Easter Sunday.  I've made elastic waist ones in the past, but I didn't want her to have a "bunchy" waist.
I thought an A-line skirt would work better. I cut two of these on the fold.
Then I sewed up the sides, leaving one side open.  I serged the part I didn't sew.  Then I used double fold bias tape to finish off the waist.
 I sewed on a hook and eye so she could close it.
She wanted a fairly large ruffle.  With my new ruffle foot (that I'm still trying to figure out), I sewed a 5 inch ruffle at the bottom.
 Tadaaa!
It's no longer see-through and has a cute vintage look w/ out a bunchy waist.

 She needed some hair bling.  I made 3 roses and glued them on a headband.

Check out some other clothes I've made here.

15 comments:

  1. great tutorial! i love it...totally finishes the dress! you did an amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so smart! It looks great with the dress.

    p.s. I'm green with envy over your ruffling foot. I've had one on my wish list for ages. Do you think it's a good buy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, simple tutorial, looks great under the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it without the elastic in the waist. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very pretty! You put a lot of thought into the design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just what I've been thinking of making for my daughter! I love the hook and eye closure to keep the bulkiness down from an elastic waistband. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent addition. I am going to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job on that ruffle! I need one of those petticoats. I bought a great skirt but it is also a bit see-through so I need to wear something under it. The skirt itself has a ruffle, so a ruffle like you did would probably work good for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pettiskirt was the perfect accent for that dress! Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just absolutely darling! So nice to see young ladies appreciating femininity and she is blessed to have such a handy mom. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you hate those see through dresses? What are designers thinking? Love the hair band, perfect with the gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the dress, so springy and cute. The headband adds the perfect touch too! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So darling~ and love the hair cuties too! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the vintage look the pettiskirt added to the dress! Cute!
    Thank you so much for linking this up with {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete