Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco De Mayo-Let's Eat

In honor of Mexico's big day, I will share with you 2 of my favorite sorta-Mexican recipes.  The First is White Chicken Chili.  I found this recipe on the back of Bush's Best Great Northern Beans.  My kids hate it, but I love it so it make it all the time anyway. That's the kind of Mom I am.
Saute 1 chopped medium onion in olive oil. 
Add: 1 (4 oz) can of chopped green chillies
3 Tb flour (optional-I never use it)
2 tsp ground cumin.
Cook and stir for 2 minutes. 

Add: 2 cans drained beans
1 can chicken broth ( or just through in 14 oz of water and a bouillon cube)
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken. 
Simmer 10 minutes/

I've made it from dried beans and it works great too (just takes WAY longer). If you're in a hurry just boil the chickn breasts and then add everything else and a few bouillon cubes and you're good to go.

Garnish w/ cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado etc. and serve w/ chips (my kid's like the chips).


Black Bean and Corn Salsa

I love this stuff.  We eat it with chips or as a side with grilled chicken.  (honestly, I've also eaten it straight out of the bowl).  This is actually a Paula Deen recipe.  Shocker, since it isn't deep fried or smothered in butter.
Recipe found here:
 

Black Bean Salsa

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
7 hr 0 min
Cook Time:
--
Level:
Easy
Serves:
12 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (17-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
  • 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/8 to 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Cover and chill overnight. Taste and add salt, pepper or more lime juice as necessary. Serve with tortilla chips as an appetizer, or with grilled chicken breast.

I add a lot more lime juice and vinegar and use red onion and some garlic.  I've used lemon juice in a pinch and once used a bottle of Paul Newman's light lime salad dressing.You can also use canned corn. I also never add cilantro.  Those of you that don't speak Spanish, may not realize that cilantro is Spanish for "how to ruin perfectly good Mexican food.

No canned biscuits were harmed in the course of this blog post.


Linking up here:
You might also enjoy these posts here.

14 comments:

  1. I Love Cinco de Mayo and reading all the fun recipes! Am I Mexican? Nope but I like to participate anyway! :)

    Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! I can't wait to make the salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I love homemade salsa. We ate Italian tonight before I realized it was Cinco de Mayo. I wish we had eaten Mexican food now :)

    I am visiting from the Fun Day Friday meme. It is nice to "meet" you.

    I hope you have a blessed weekend!
    Long Wait For Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me just tell you I love your blog name and I love Mexican food so this was heaven for me!

    I am visiting from Lucy Lu's link party!! :)

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad I didn't see this yesterday! I made Chalupas for dinner and this salsa would have been perfect.

    Oh, and not one person in my family linked the cinco de mayo date with my dinner. They suck. I'll have to feed them that chili to punish them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara you crack me up! We miss you here on the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Sounds really good to my hungry tummy right now! :-)
    Thanks for linking up to Fun-day Friday!
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those sounds good! I'd like to try out the salsa, that looks tasty. :)

    Tnx for linking up at Who Made What? Weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are hosting a linky party with the theme this week of "MEXICAN DISHES" at THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS and would love for you to link up your wonderful recipe! (linky closes Monday.. hope to see you there)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-weeks-cravings-27-mexican-dishes.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMMM!! Thanks for coming by Sassy Sites and linking up at our ffa party! Have a wonderful weekend, and most of all... a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

    xoxo!!
    Marni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Salud!

    You have cooked up some cravings with this post):- .

    However, we have two "excuses" on the calendar for Mexican festivities. Cinco de Mayo is the California- established celebration of when the French were removed from Mexico. Freedom from the Spanish rulers is celebrated later in the year and the one I am told more traditionally celebrated in Mexico itself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS! Make sure to come back next Monday for "Brunch Recipes".

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started doing a happy dance as soon as I saw this linked to Crafty Friday! It looks so yummy! I corn,beans and tomatoes>

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm visiting from Tatertots and Jello!

    I love Mexican food, and can't wait to try your White Chicken Chili. It looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete