Thursday, June 16, 2011

What to do if you wash and dry a tube of lipstick

First of all, I am so excited to announce that next week this blog will have a very special guest host-my talented and beautiful Trophy Daughter.  So come by next week to check out some fabulous ideas to keep your daughters busy this summer and even some fun ideas us old ladies will like as well.


(source)
The other day when I blogged about how to get rid of bees w/ dish soap, it reminded me of another helpful hint.   When we were poor newlyweds I once left a tube of dark red lipstick in a pair of light khaki pants. I threw the pants in the washer along with a full load of whites and then to completely ruin the load, threw everything  in the dryer. I was horrified when I removed the load from the dryer and noticed that everything was covered with dark red spots and stains.


My mother is the queen of laundry, she can get stains out of anything and so I called her in a panic.  Here's what she told me to do:

Step 1: Rub a little dish soap (not antibacterial-it will eat holes in your clothes) on each spot.  This took a very long time. I used and old toothbrush.  Dish soap will help get the "grease" from the lipstick out.
Step 2: Let the load soak overnight in the hottest water that won't shrink stuff. (I  figured everything was already ruined, so I put it on hot)
Step 3:  Wash with your normal detergent (By the way, my kid did a science project on the best laundry detergent on getting out grass, blood,  and dirt and Kirkland Powder detergent from Costco won-even beat Tide).  I threw in some stain fighters b/c I figured it couldn't hurt.
Step 4: Pray really hard (honestly I think this might have been the most important step and the biggest reason it work)
Step 5:  Line dry-just to make sure you got all the spots
Step 6: repeat steps 1-5 if needed (I didn't)


I was amazed and thrilled.  The lipstick came out of almost every piece of clothing except one t-shirt.  I'm not sure if knit just absorbed the lipstick more, but I was happy to only have to throw one thing out.

Of course, the easiest solution is to check everyone's pockets BEFORE sticking stuff in the wash.
What's the wierdest thing you've ever washed?

 

 More hints here.
Linking up here.

19 comments:

  1. Great tips! And I've been eyeballing that Costco detergent (cheaper than Tide)....Thanks for the heads up! Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use Dawn for any stain that is greasy - butter, mayo, etc. Stain fighters like Shout work fine for most things, but nothing beats Dawn for anything oil based. I just get the spot wet, squirt a little Dawn on, work it in with my fingers, and toss the clothes in the hamper. Everything comes out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have totally done that before with chapstick and everything had these huge grease spots! I love your tips and will definitely try these in the future (because I'm positive, this won't be my last time to run something like lipstick in the wash!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this tip. I've definitely done the lipstick-in-the-wash-thing before! My favorite step is . . . PRAY! {Which seems to work for everything.} Thanks so much for linking up to Fab Friday.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great tip... I have been in the same boat, and it did not turn out so well.. I will KNOW for next time! Thanks for showing off on my blog today!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great tip! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip. My kids when teens washed chapstick several times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet it WAS the prayer that was the most important... isn't it always? The rest of your tips were great too ... I'm trying to think of the strangest thing I've ever washed. I think it was my husband's wallet. I'm not very exciting, am I? jules

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips!! I hate it when something goes through the wash that was missed and makes a mess!! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did this when I was first working. Everything I owned had pink lipstick stains. I used goop handcleaner from the hardware store. It's a solvent for the lipstick. It's sold to get grease off of men's hands. Put goop on the stain. Immediately the stain starts turning a different color. Pause. Add liquid soap and scrub.Add more goop as needed. The stain comes out. The goop comes out. Wash as usual to remove all traces of the extra soaps.
    I rescued the entire load of lights. Lingerie, slips, Polyester cotton skirts, Cotton blouses. I said my prayers too but I got to see the stains release right before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this! You just saved my boyfriend's sweatshirt from a tube of purple lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya girl! I just ended my weekend with my last load of laundry...so I thought.. I just ruined socks, pants and shirts with lipstick. Of course some of my fiancés favorite shirts were in there. Ugh! I am going to do what you did to get out stains. Wish me luck! Thanks ladies for all your suggestions. 😉

      Delete
    2. I hear ya girl! I just ended my weekend with my last load of laundry...so I thought.. I just ruined socks, pants and shirts with lipstick. Of course some of my fiancés favorite shirts were in there. Ugh! I am going to do what you did to get out stains. Wish me luck! Thanks ladies for all your suggestions. 😉

      Delete
  12. Sounds legit...weirdest thing I ever washed, an IPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds legit...weirdest thing I ever washed, an IPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keys and money get washed from time to time. I did wash my shower liners on purpose before and turned out clean as new! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Worked great will keep in my notes!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg, I'm so happy to have come across your blog. I just realized that I had done the same thing with the lipstick. I usually don't wear any makeup, but this time I did and had forgotten that I lefted a red lipstick in my khaki pant pocket. Luckily none of the clothes were my husbands', lol. Thinking, great! I just ruined my work clothes. I rewashed everything and it did not work. I will be trying your method next. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad I came across your suggestion. It worked awesome! A whole load of nice clothes were literally covered in lipstick after I pulled them out of the dryer. I freaked, went on line, and found your suggestion. I put all the clothes in my utility sink in hot water and started with liquid dish detergent. I just rubbed the clothes against each other with a ton of liquid dish detergent - I used at least half a brand new bottle. I had an organic brand that worked great, but I am sure any brand works just fine. Thanks so much for this great suggestion.

    ReplyDelete