Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kill Garden SLugs Naturally



My garden is full of snails. I knew someone who used to put out beer in pie plates to kill snails and so I googled how to do it.  I found out that they are attracted to the yeast in the beer. Since I don't drink,  I googled to see if you could use plain yeast to kill snails and you can!  

Here's what you need.  You don't need to be exact at all, but here are some approximate measurements:
2 cups warm water
2 Tb sugar or honey
1-2 Tb yeast
2 Tb salt (optional)

Basically you need enough sugar to feed the yeast so it will grow.  It should get all foamy. 
 I also read that snails/ slugs are attracted to the smell of honey, so you can add that too.  I've tried both and didn't notice a difference and sugar is a lot cheaper.

Some sites also said to add salt.  It will kill them, but I don't think snails could climb out of my little death traps, so I don't add it.



After your mixture gets all foamy find some containers, I used this small glass jar, but you could use whatever ( bottom half of a juice or soda can, an old laundry soap scoop, baby food jars etc.). 
You are going to completely bury the container in the ground so you don't want it too big, but you want it deep enough that the snails can't climb out. 

NASTY!

I've been doing this for a week.  The first day, I got about 6-7, and now there are only 1-2 every few days.  I just empty the traps and add some more mixture.

Cheap, easy, and chemical free!
If you have some extra beer lying around, you would just substitute it for the yeast mixture.

To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I do not like slimy little creatures. I like this non-toxic cocktail to rid them from my garden! I do not need any help killing anything in the yard! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this recipe. I hate those pesky critters, and we don't drink beer either. I'll definitely be using this in my garden.

    Have a lovely week!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe!! I mean ''death'' recipe! Have anything to stop rabbits from eating my garden this summer?

    Thank you so very much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really thankful we don't have the problem. I'd be less than impressed about digging snails and slugs out. So glad you found a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! This is nasty... and I am sure stinky! Love this!! Thanks for linking up to the Stinky Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tip! My parents used to have tons of snails in their yard growing up. I'll need to remember this when I get a yard of my own. ;-) Thanks for linking up to What I Learned Wednesday! I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete