Friday, March 30, 2012

Sewing 101 Week 4: Love your curves


Welcome to week 4 of:
Sewing 101
If your a sewing newbie, please check out week 1(envelope pillow)  week 2 (easy bubble skirt)  and week 3 (french seams).  I've structured this series, so each week builds on previous weeks' lessons.
 Today we are going to make a sweet little petal skirt and talk about the importance of clipping curves. 

 As always, you are going to need 2 measurements:
 the waist and the desired length of finished skirt.

Step 1: 
Cut 2 pieces of fabric 2 X waist wide and  length +2 inches long.  For example, I want my skirt to fit a 16 inch waist and be 7 inches long, so I cut each piece 32 inches wide by 9 inches long.  I used 2 different fabrics, but you could also use 2 of the same if you wanted to be really boring :)

 Step 2: Find some sort of circle to use a pattern (glass, jar,etc.) I used 1/2 of a large Easter egg. Using your sewing marker trace it along the lower edge.
Step 3: (not pictured) sew up the side seam of piece of fabric separately.
 Step 4: Place the pretty sides together (one inside the other) and stitch along the scalloped bottom edge with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Step 5: With a sharp pair of scissors you are going to cut from the edge of the fabric to as close to the seam line as possible with out cutting through it ( don't cut through or it will make you swear).  Make sure you cut all the way to the point of the scallop.

You need to do this anytime you cut any type of curved edge (collars, necklines, armholes).  If the garment has a gradual curve, your clips can be further apart.  If you don't clip your edges it will look all wonky.
 
Close-up shot


 Step 6:  Turn skirt inside out an press. If your scallops, aren't looking good, go back and clip some more.
 Step 7: Topstich.  I think topstitching makes something look much more polished. I lined my fabric up with the presser foot on my machine and sewed very slowly, so it would look even and pretty.


Step 8: Do the waist band the same as in week's 2 and week 3.


Admire your work:  If you used 2 different prints-it's reversible!
Good Luck!  I'd love to see you creations.


(I am not sure how, but didn't realized I used the same fabric as last week until I was writing this up-now I feel smart)

To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Genial!
    Thank you very much!
    Charo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this! It would be perfect for my daughter for the spring or summer. Especially in bright colors or bold prints teamed with a solid shirt. Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great! I love scalloped hems...looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I love the colors! I'd love for you to link up to Crafty Cousins.
    http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-i-wore-sunday-week-10.html

    ~Natalie @ Crafty Cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO CUTE!! I love the idea of a shaped bottom. I may need to make my daughter one.
    I'd love if you'd come link up at my first ever Tuesday Tutorial at Our Thrifty Ideas http://www.ourthriftyideas.com/2012/04/tutorial-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU for this tutorial!!!!!! I'm just starting to sew and I soo want to make this skirt!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work. Yes, that is how I would have done it also. Good stitching, too. Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing with all of us at Ginger's Party! I am featuring it on my blog today.
    ~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cute! I love that it's reversible. Thanks for linking up to What I Learned Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea,thanks for sharing!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shop two piece long prom dresses and gowns for your prom or pageant at Promdresshut.com. Two-piece homecoming party dresses and 2-piece cocktail party dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was haven herpes 2 on my genital area . I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my genital area and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR. Oyagu website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when I switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, I search and I saw a great posts by Sarah devise Martha, Mignon Wright and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR. Oyagu so that was when I contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which I takes for some couples of days, and I take it as he says before I am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR. Oyagu for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com reach him via his website;https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome thank you'l

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is always beautiful when you have good health.i have be in pain for almost 1 year had HSV 1&2 and I was lonely and sad, luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Oliha who helped me cure my HSV 1&2 and today I am free from the virus and very healthy thank you so much Dr Oliha .Email
    oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com
    you can also whatsapp/Call him; +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete