Monday, March 19, 2012

#36 Be a Member of a Live Studio Audience-done


Last week was Spring Break in Texas.  It was pretty low-key around here and pretty much we just hung out.  We did go to Kerrville (about an hour a way) just to get away.  We saw the fake Stonehenge and then just stayed at a hotel w/ an indoor pool and free breakfast.  


On Saturday, the hubby and I went to Austin to be part of the live studio audience of America's Got Talent.
This took care of #36 on my 40 by 40 list, "Be Part of a Live Studio Audience."


They had a super strict dress code:


YOU MUST ADHERE TO DRESS CODE. YOUR ADMISSION DEPENDS ON IT. Hip, upscale attire is mandatory. You will be on camera so it is very important that you dress nicely! When you look great, the show looks great! No shorts, t-shirts, or hats. We'd prefer you don't wear jeans, but nice jeans are fine. SOLID COLORS ARE APPRECIATED. NO WHITE CLOTHING. Absolutely no clothing with logos or writing will be allowed into the theater. 



Absolutely no open-toed shoes of any kind will be allowed inside the studio of safety reasons. You will be turned away if you wear them. This includes high heels (anything over 1 inch), platforms, sandals, and flip flops. Please wear closed-toed flat shoes.




I was stressed a little a bit what to wear.  First, I buy most of my clothes at Costco and Target and I do not own a lot of "hip, upscale" attire. We stopped at the outlet mail on the way up and I got a cute green sweater at Banana Republic (they're hip and upscale right?), but then we got an e-mail that said "no green". It was St. Patrick's Day, but the show wasn't airing until May.
 We thought maybe your seat depended on how good you loooked and I was worried about even wearing jeans. When I got there there was obviously no one checking the dress code. There was even a lady in a HUGE green t-shirt that said "P-A-R-T-Y" across her chest in denim capris and flip-flops that got  a seat on the front row.


We weren't allowed to  bring cameras/phones so I don't have any pics for you but I'll tell you a little about our experience:


First of all, we were all basically props and all of the audience reactions are faked. Outside the theater we all pretended to be excited to see the judges arrive-even though they weren't there. They even recorded all of our reactions before the performers even came on.  This makes sense, b/c the audience is in the dark during the performances.  They would tell us how to react and then they filmed it.  We pretended to laugh, be horrified, clap politely, enthusiastically chant "Vegas", and boo.  We even did fake staggering standing ovations.


Second, there are actually Howard Stern fans out there-I guess I assumed he must have them.  He's just not my cup of tea.


Third-it was super loud.  I couldn't really hear a lot of the performers and so had no idea if they were actually good or not.
 
It took forever. We got there 2 1/2 hours before it even started and it usually took about 20 minutes between each act.  There were 4 audition shows scheduled and so I'm curious to see how much actual TV time they got out of the 6 1/2 hours we were there.


Finally, it was only the auditions, but none of the talent we saw was any better than you get from your typical High School talent show. However there was a singer that was wounded by a grenade in Afghanistan that I am going to vote for.  His story inspired me and made me cry and I'd like to help him win a million dollars.


Overall it was a fun experience and I got to cross something off my list.


To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Cool! My sisters and I were in a studio audience in LA, and our experience was similar. The dress said something like "stylish casual" or something and there were tons of people dressed in jerseys and old t-shirts. There was ONE pan of the audience when we watched it on TV the next night. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad that they have Howard stern as a judge. My kids and I have always loved watching that show, but I definitely won't be letting them watch now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said before, I'm not a fan. However, he didn't make any mean or crude comments (Howie Mandel did, but I'm sure it will be edited out). I thought his criticisms were spot on and we found ourselves agreeing with him. I wasn't crazy about being in the audience w/ all of his die hard fans. Many of them were were complete tools.

      Delete
  3. That is hilarious. I am not surprised at all it was so staged. Just think of how they film the Bachelor and it will disgust you. I went to the Regis and Kelly show once too. It was really fun, but it felt so fake as well. Makes you realize how much "acting" goes on when it feels normal on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were in the Dave Letterman audience, it was all real and fast. I don't think they edited it much-if at all and no one ever told us to fake laugh.

      Delete