Monday, December 26, 2011

40 By 40

40th birthday yellow orange and lime green 2 tier birthday cake
I actually turned 39 a few week's ago, so I have a little less than 49 weeks to rock my thirties.  I've seen several blogs where people come up with a list of things that they want to accomplish before they hit a certain milestone.  I decided to pick 40 things to do before I turn 40.  Some will challenge me, some will just be fun, and some are just b/c I need a good excuse to do them.  I've divided them up into different categories. 

Just say no to frumpy and 40
1. No ponytails for 30 days (except for yard work/exercise)
2. Wear lipstick every time I leave the house for 30 days (March 2012)
3.  Buy eyeshadow (done) and actually wear it
4. Get my hair professionally colored (May 1, 2012)

Fitness
5. Be able to do 10 consecutive push-ups (I can do 0)
6. Run an organized 10K race
7. Complete 12 weeks of Body for Life (started Jan 2, 2012)-failed
8. No sugar for 30 days
9. Eat vegetarian for 30 days (please send me recipes)

Projects
10. Create a functional and fabulous craft room (in progress)
11. Create a functional and fabulous laundry room (Jan 26, 2012).

12.  Build something (by myself) out of wood
13. Create a mommy-command station
14. Decorate Master bathroom 
15. Decorate half bath (16 May 2012)

16. Paint stairs
17. Eat something I grew myself  (3 May 2012)

18. Install kitchen hardware (31 Jan, 2012)

19. Learn how to hang shelves (Jan 3, 2012)
 click here for tutorial

Because I never have before:
20. Take a hot-air balloon ride (I forgot that I am afraid of heights and so I don't think I'm doing this one)
21. Bake a souffle
22.  Make a 4 course gourmet meal
23. Write a fan letter
24. Read the Lord of the Rings trilogy(I read the first one and it decided that I am going to skip the next 2-just not my type of book)
25.  Read Tale of Two Cities
26.  Attend a Bowl Game (Go Cougars!) (Dec 30)
27. Play a round of Frisbee golf (Jan 16)

28. Get a massage (Feb 13, 21012) Thanks Barb for taking care of this one.

Places to Go:
29.  Visit Big Bend National Park
30. Visit the Sears (Willis) Tower in Chicago (26 April 2012)

31. See the Hollywood walk of fame
32. See Le Miserables (Jan 5, 2012) No blog post-We forgot the camera
33. Eat cheese in Wisconsin (24 April 2012)

34. Eat Pizza in Chicago (26 April 2012)

35.  Take a weekend in the Texas Hill Country with my hubby
36.  Be a member of a live studio audience (March 17, 2012)

Stuff that's good for me:
37. Take a class on Isaiah (Started January 19)
38. Draw up a will
39. Meet with financial planner
40.  Write a thank-you note for every gift and act of service (no one do anything nice for me until 2013)

EXTRA Goals:
1. Run a relay marathon



Before I'm 50, I also want to:
1. Read the complete standard works in one year (started Jan 1, 2012)
2. Take a painting class
3. Earn my Young Women Recognition award
4. Learn a song on the piano and play in public
5. Take my kids on a cruise
6. Run a half marathon
7.  Run a full marathon
8.  Go on an African Safari
9. Visit Great Britain
10. Visit the Galapagos Islands

So there's my list.  Now that I've put it out there, I've got to do it.

22 comments:

  1. The Sears tower is now the Willis tower :( I can give you the only suitable pizza places to eat in Chicago. I recommend Mar's Cheese Castle for the Cheese and its not too far from Chicago. And Texas Hill Country is awesome...I'd also recommend seeing the bats in Austin if you are going that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome list. I can't wait to read about you checking them off the list. I love Chicago. It's one of the few places I've actually been. I wish I could meet up with you and do a few of these this year! Run a real 10 K is also one of my goals this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! This is such a great list! I can't even imagine being organized enough to make a list! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this because I've found that its amazing what happens when you go through the step of writing down your desires / goals. You've inspired me to get started for 2012!! Thanks for linking this up to my Blog Tips & Resolutions party going on over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool thing to do! Now you've got me thinking about a list, I've never been a list person, but I think that may be first on my list! Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your post it has inspired me to make one of my own

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list of goals. Best of luck! PS - 40 is SO young!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! Maybe I can help with the vegetarian part. I'll be eating vegetarian Monday-Friday each week, allowing myself to "cheat" on weekends if I want. I'll be posting recipes from time to time on my blog. You can read more about my "Get Healthy" goal here: www.onetoughmom.blogspot.com/2011/12/2012-realistic-resolutions.html. Perhaps we can help to hold each other accountable! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy cake and delicious look. amazing this post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I would have done something like this...Maybe I can do one before I turn 50 :)
    You've got some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I had to laugh at the "eat cheese in Wisconsin"! It's definitely better here (I live in WI). I hope you accomplish everything, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darling...
    Just read your "About Me" and disclaimer boxes and am just smiling and smiling. We are kindred spirits! Except I'm a good editor and wielding my red-pen is my forte! Otherwise ... we have a lot in common.

    I'm on the back-side of 54...thinking of doing a similar post (40 by 40) on my blog: www.TitusTwoFriends.blogspot.com But will have to give it a different (less snappy) name like "55 Before 56" or something like that. eheheh Reminds me of the "Chicago" (band) song "25 or 6 to 4" - only makes sense to me.

    Keep up the good work?!?

    Hugs from West Virginia!
    Deb <><

    ReplyDelete
  13. I try to proofread, but my brain just corrects the mistakes-it drives my hubby crazy. Let me know if you start a list, I'd love to follow you along your journey. My hubby suggested doing a 12 in 2012 list. It's only been a week, but so far it's been fun (although I'm hungry and sore due to day 3 of BFL).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your "bucket" list - so to speak. It's kind of interesting to see someone else's list and compare them to what you yourself have done or think to add some that you hadn't thought about before! Very fun and interesting. I have 3+ years until I'm 50. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this! FYI 40 is AWESOME (I'm 47). Just as your 40 x 40 list shows, you can't control your age,just how you age. You Go Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this list! I wish you lived close to me so we could whip these out together, I need a partner to motivate me to do my "bucket" list items. :) And it's way more fun with a friend!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pinning it. because that's how my brain works, and if I put it on Pinterest (even just an image of the cake with a 40 on it) I'll remember it and maybe create a 33 by 33 list for me:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this, going to have to make my own. the only way I have found to not wear ponytails is to keep my hair short, which is an extreme solution I know. Good luck can't wait to hear of more that you cross off.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To help you a bit with the 30-days-of-vegetarian-food task (as a full-time vegetarian I'm always glad to spread the word ;-) ): I highly recommend Heidi Swanson's food blog "www.101cookbooks.com" - she's a genius and has so many recipes it will take you much more then 30 days to try them all out!
    Have fun completing your list! :-)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I need to turn off my fat, they really let my head hurt。Like quickly ah, do not hesitate the most fun game on [url=http://www.diablo4shop.com/]Diablo 3 Gold[/url]Diablo 3 Gold!!!

    ReplyDelete