Friday, January 27, 2012

#11 Create a Fabulous and Functional Laundry Room

I get to cross #11 off my 40 by 40  list(only 35 more to go) -"Create a Fabulous and Functional Laundry Room". Taking decent pictures of this long skinny room, is not in my photography skill set-sorry. Ready for your tour?
When you walk in, look to the far wall and notice all my stolen artwork (vintage tips and "life is too short to fold fitted sheets") and my curtain for dummies.


Next, look to your left to see my pride and joy-the laundry dresser (you all need one of these-it will change your life)
Now, look above the washer and dryer to notice the cute and functional stuff on my shelves.
I rolled up the rags and old towels/rags and stuck them in a basket with a bow to dress them up.  There is also an antique iron and an old window (this is just hanging out here until I can borrow a ladder and some courage to hang it above my front door).  There are also several cute storage boxes of assorted sizes all over the room that I made  (see how here).  I found this red burlap and thought it would be great to make storage boxes out of. I was wrong-it stretched and ripped and although the end result is fine, I don't recommend it. There's also a rod that I can use to hang up stuff (although I'm lazy and put EVERYTHING in the dryer).


This shelf has an antique washboard and iron, more storage and "my Stache" jar for loose change. I hung my trio of Laundry Symbol Art above.

Finally look down and please admire the floors.  They look like ceramic tile (even in person and even if you get down on your hands and needs to inspect them), but they are peel-&stick vinyl tiles that you can grout to look like real tiles.  I know what you're thinking-peel and stick=super tacky.  That's what I thought, but they are AMAZING. When we moved in, we budgeted $1500 to replace nasty linoleum. All by myself, I did 2 bathrooms and the laundry room for a little over $100 and it looks just like tile. No tile saws required-I used a box-cutter.   Check out the site here for more info. 


Pin It


Thanks for stopping by, if you're interested in some free clothes-please check out this weeks give-a-way and linky party.

I'm linking up here.

27 comments:

  1. That laundry dresser is the most clever thing! LOVE it! I am following now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara it looks amazing! I love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I am in the process of "redoing" my laundry room right now and it is slow going! Who knew what an undertaking such a small room would be?? LOL! Love the "stache" jar ~ may have to "borrow" that one! Those floors are awesome and I'm studying that laundry dresser. Looks like hubby just got another thing put on his honey-do list!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The laundry room looks great. I like your cute laundry symbol art. Very cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dresser! You are so lucky to have a laundry room. I just have a laundry...house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Cute! I love the laundry basket dresser and the covered boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time to do some laundry - I love how you pulled this all together! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yeah - I love that yellow laundry sorting dresser. I showed hubby and I now I am getting one too! Hurray! I'm all for making laundry as easy as possible!!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your art! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This came out soo great - I love the shelves for the baskets!!
    A few blog friends and I are hosting our first link party tomorrow to finish off the Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge, we go live at 7amET. Today I revealed my project for the challenge, a gallery wall with only one screw in the wall. It would be great if you have a chance to check it out and link up! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/the-one-screw-gallery-wall-is-here/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog = your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate you! LOL! Not really. I'm just really jealous. Makes me want to tackle my laundry room now. Beautiful work : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is super cute!! Love the vintage artwork...so cool!! Would love it if you'd link up to my brand new par-tay: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/01/mop-it-up-mondays-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the laundry room. I wish I had one as cute as that! (Or even one at all; mine are just in the basement in a creepy room). Self-adhesive tile is awesome. I redid our kitchen and bathroom floor using it a few years ago and wrote a little tutorial here: http://www.nokoikonomia.com/2009/08/how-to-install-and-grout-self-adhesive.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - this is super cute!! I love the laundry basket idea! Your shelves are cute and functional!

    I would love if you linked up to my Take it on Tuesday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw you at skip to my lou and thought this laundry room is so cute. I love it all but I especially love the details like the cute bow on the basket. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking laundry room! Would love for you to stop by The Blackberry Vine and share at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I might would actually enjoy doing laundry in this laundry room! I love the laundry dresser...off to check out the link now! Oh yeah...that peel and stick floor looks great - I'm gonna check that out for my laundry/bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That laundry dresser is just too cool. Love how it goes vertical instead of horizontal. Horizontal is important in my home. I wouldn't mind walking in this laundry room, but I wouldn't have to, caused the hubs does all the laundry in this house. Sorry don't hate me cause my hubs likes to do laundry. It really is a cute room. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome.. you have created the perfect space.. now if only the laudry would wash, dry, fold and put itself away! lol.. Really though it looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing wiht the Pink Hippo party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where did you get the laundry basket shelf or did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make it: http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2012/01/laundry-bring-it-on.html and it has made laundry so much easier.

      Delete
  21. I plan to show this to my husband and guilt him into making a basket dresser for me. I have four kids ages 6 and under, it makes for a lot of laundry. I am so jealous of you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing ideas. I was looking for my laundry remodeling. Thanks for giving me beautiful ideas.

    ReplyDelete