Monday, August 22, 2011

Storage!

I have a confession:  I am a piler.  In every room of my house, there is at least one pile of junk that I don't I don't feel like dealing with.  My craft room sometimes has so many piles that you can not even see the floor.  This was fine for the old craft room, but now that it's getting it's make-over I need somewhere pretty to put all my piles.  I was inspired by this at Positively Splendid.  I used an assortment of different size boxes.  I also wrapped my boxes a little differently.
First: I centered the box on my fabric, making sure the fabric was large enough to cover all 4 sides.
Second:  I cut from the corner of the fabric to the corner of the boxes.
Third (I forgot to take a picture), I folded the points to the middle and brought the sides of the fabric up.  I used hot glue to secure in place.

I based my liners on this tutorial here from Make it and Love it. Although I may not be very smart, and couldn't figure it out at first.  I'm adding a few pics that may help you.
Step one: cut out a piece for your main piece and for the two ends.
Step two: Sew the ends to the main piece/

 Step three: Sew up the sides (sew A to side A, B to side B etc.)
Step 4:  Make a narrow hem.
 Step 5: Put liner on bin. 
Step 6: Attach a tag (tutorial here)
Step 7: Admire your work

I steal have lots of piles-they are just hiding in pretty bins.

So know you all know what I've been up to.  What have you been up to?  I'd love for you to share at this week's linky party (click here to play along).  Thanks for stopping by.

More storage ideas here.
I'm linking up at these fabulous places.
Tip Junkie handmade projectsVisit thecsiproject.com

24 comments:

  1. I love these boxes!
    I am attacking my office/junk closet once the kids start school and this will really help with all my piles!
    Cute fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love boxes of any and all kind. These are super adorable, thanks for sharing! New follower!

    Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable! I'm so jealous of people who can actually sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love it! I need these at my house! I'm co-hosting a link party and I'd love it if you'd come link up on Wednesday at southernlovely.blogspot.com

    See you soon!
    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boxes look great, I really need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my pillow tutorial. I linked up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart! I'm a piler, too. I should definitely get more creative with my storage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I found you on Tuesday Time Out. Your storage boxes are a fabulous idea... practical, yet pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I always love seeing cool storage stuff at the container store but never want to spend the money. Repurposing some existing boxes in this way is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great! I have piles everywhere too...
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your project. These boxes can be made to coordinate with any room, especially the craft room. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Dee B

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much nicer than plain boxes. I'm a piler too so maybe I need a couple of these

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love what you came up with! These boxes made pretty are on my "to do" or hope to do... lol! Stopping over from TT&J linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Piler, oh that is what I am. Thank you for naming it. I love your boxes, maybe I will be a Boxer from now on

    ReplyDelete
  15. News from a fellow "piler" - you made #1 clicked this week for Tutorial Tuesday! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love it! especially your fabric choices! and as far as being a piler... yep. that's me too!

    thanks for linking this up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party last week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love it! Definatly doing some of these today. I too am a piler or as I call myself creative veritcal filer. The fun part is you can do them in all kinds of size and stack them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great project. I will be featuring it at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens tomorrow night at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. just wanted to let you know that this will be featured at my tip-toe thru tuesday party tomorrow!

    andie @ crayonfreckles.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE these! I'm visiting from Shabby Shares Saturday Linky Party. I love the combo of fabric you chose! The black & white polka dot fabric really caught my eye! I can't wait to make some of my own! Although, I don't sew, so I'll just have to wing that part. ;)

    Confession: I'm a piler too. ;)

    By the way, I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's a good idea! The wrapping paper idea I had was not, however; I feel like I'm going to rip the paper off my box. This is so much more customizable than finding the right basket for a certain space! Now just need to find right sized cardboard box, get some pretty fabric, and do it. Saw your post at CSI project, good luck!

    ReplyDelete