Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Are you Bored w/ your Board?


I'm redoing the craft room study.  Since I do a lot of sewing (and I'm too lazy to put it away) my ironing board stays up all the time.  It is not pretty.  I looked for a new cute cover, but couldn't find one, so I decided to make my own. I figured it couldn't be any worse than my cake ball fiasco.


Step 1: Lay out your fabric on the floor and place the ironing board on top.
Step 2:  Cut around the board, leaving at least a 2 in margin of fabric. I left about a 3-4 inch margin at the top.
(At this point, I was planning to fold the edges over to make a casing and thread through some elastic, but then I found an easier way)
Step 3: I left the old cover on, b/c I wanted the padding.  I placed the fabric on top of the cover.  Then I pulled in tight and tucked it under.  I pinned it securely in place


Step 4: Carefully remove the cover and sew along the edge. I used 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Remove pins and place back on board.


Tada! Totally cute ironing "not bored" board cover that will match my cute room.  It was so quick and easy (easily under an hour) that there is no longer any excuse for ugly or boring covers.Stay tuned for the big craft room reveal.



I would love, love, love for your to link up all your fabulous posts here.

8 comments:

  1. This is great, and so easy! My ironing board looks like your before picture, so I really need to do this, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried how to do the elastic part, but that's a great idea to just recover the old one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this idea, i need to do this to my small ironing board i use when doing appliques!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you smart! I see a makeover in my ironing board's future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooo doing this! I got some kind of sticky goo on my current ironing board cover and it gets the iron all gunky...this will save me a trip to the store! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! My ironing board is definitely in the 'boring' category.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea! I really need to sort something out for when ironing my sewing projects, at the moment I just fold a tea towel over the coffee table, ekk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to do this for a very long time! That you so much for the tutorial!

    I would love to have you share this at my first link party--

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-1.html

    ReplyDelete