Thursday, August 25, 2011

Need a Good Book?

Between hanging out at football practice and having my husband gone, I've spent a lot of time reading lately.  These are some of the best books I've read recently and I would recommend all of them. I put links to all of them if you'd like more information on any of them. (the margins are weird, sorry- I tried)


1. The Girl in the Blue Dress-This is an amazing piece of historical fiction and would be great for book club (I may need to write an entire post about it). It tells the story of the marriage of Charles Dickens. He was so confident in his own morale superiority that he threw out his wife of 15 years and replaced her with actress that was younger than his own daughter-guilt free.  Even after 10 years in exile from her own children, she still wouldn't speak ill of him. She even donated all of their love letters to the Museum of London so that the world would know that he loved her once.  It isn't a happy book, but I couldn't put it down.




2. Bella at Midnight-A re-telling of Cinderella,  enjoyed equally by both my daughter and I.





3. The Iron King Series-Another series of paranormal teen romances.  Instead of vampires and werewolves, the main character finds herself in the land of Midsummer's Night Dream.  They are the types of books that you are embarrassed to read in public, but can't put down.  I thought it was only a trilogy, (and I am more than ready for everyone to live happily ever after and for it to be over), but I guess there's another one coming out next fall.  Parent Advisory: The beginning of the first book is a fairly realistic  interpretation of modern high school, complete with crude comments and foul language. It is less offensive once they enter the "Nevernever" but there's still some bad language.  Being a teenage romance book, there is lots of intense longing and they actually "become one" in the 3rd book (not on anyone's wedding night either). However,  the encounter it isn't described in graphic detail.




4. The Frog Princess-Disney VERY loosely based their movie on this book.  However, the book is more of a fairy tale and takes place in a land long ago and in land faraway instead of New Orleans.  They're quick fun reads and I think would be a great choice for young girls-or not so young girls.



5. The Penderwicks-This is a charming series.  It has the feel of books from gentler times, and I was surprised when one of the characters actually had a pager.





6. The Year of Wonders-  It is exactly about as happy as you'd expect a book about the bubonic plague to be. Don't get attached to any characters, because they will probably die  a few pages after they are introduced.  I think the title is misleading; The Year of Death would have been more appropriate.  That being said, I still couldn't put it down and it would also be perfect for book clubs.  I enjoy reading historical fiction and enjoy even more that I live in 2011.




7. Live Wire-I like to take Harlan Coben books on long plane rides. They are a bit gritty, but are all page turners and sure help pass the time. If you like a god crime drama, then you'lll enjoy any of Coben's books.




8. The Adoration of Jenna Fox-This was actually required summer reading for my daughter, but I enjoyed the book way more than her (mostly b/c I didn't have to do a project about it).  It combines a little sci-fi with some mystery to explore the issue of medical ethics.  Fascinating.

Need some more book ideas?  Here are some of my other book posts here. Check out my friends' Alicia's  and my friend Kammy's blogs too.


Linking up here.


Read anything good lately?  I've got months and months of football practices left and need suggestions. Better yet, link up your book related posts here and this week's linky party!

10 comments:

  1. Ohhh Thanks for the suggestions! We recently got the Penderwicks.. and I am going to look for Girl in a Blue Dress for my next read!
    Oh and if you are looking for one.. I am currently reading The Hour I first Believed by Wally Lamb.. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great suggestions!! Definitely going to look into the Frog Princess for my oldest daughter. I'm writing a blog post myself that's posting tomorrow about the books I've read this summer too. (Not as many as you, but hopefully you'll come check it out for some suggestions!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire Vanderpool received the Newberry for Moon over Manifest...it is a great historical fiction story that you will be entranced by. It is a great read aloud! I have a couple of book list posts on my blog if you are interested...I am a librarian :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeay! I love recommendations. The Adoration of Jenna Fox just came in for me at the library. I'm excited to check out a few of the others, but I might skip the sad ones....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always always love good book recommendations...some of these sound quite interesting...oh how i love tales of the bubonic plague! thanks for linking up to fridays unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the ideas, I need a knew book. I just finished "The Help", really liked it! Now I can go see the movie. :)

    Kimberly @ THE BROWN EYES HAVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas... I do need some new book ideas.. The one about Charles Dickens sound fascinating, I have always enjoyed his work. I will to tell the bookmobile to get that one in for me!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of those books yet! I've had Iron King on hold for a few weeks, maybe I'll get it in a few more. : ) My suggestions: Matched, Maze Runner series, Cutting for Stone, Discovery of Witches, Unbroken. Have you checked out the 4th in the City of... series? She also has another series that starts with "Clockwork Prince." I miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love getting book recommendations! Number 1 and number 6 look really good - historical fiction is my favorite genre.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must have already read Outlander series by Gabaldon? My favorite. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete