Saturday, January 28, 2012

Peppermint and Ganache Topped Brownies

Christmas 2010, I found these yummy brownies on Sunset:
 Peppermint-topped Brownies
They were AMAZING, and I bought all the stuff to make them again this year.  Sadly I got too busy.  I'm only eating junk on Saturdays and so I wanted something really, really good (and these qualify).  I thought that by making the peppermints heart shape, they'd be less Christmasy and perfect for Valentine's Day.

I adapted the original recipe b/c I'm lazy.  If you are the type of person that shuns box mixes and actually owns a double-boiler check out the original recipe.
Ingredients:
1 batch of 9x13 brownies baked and cooled.
17 oz bag of peppermint swirl candies (I used the Target brand)
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup whipping cream


Place cream and chocolate chips in large microwave bowl.  Cook, 30 seconds at time, stirring until completely blended. Cool until only slightly warm. Poor on top of brownies.  Refrigerate 1 hour.


Preheat over to 300. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.  Unwrap the candy and place about 1 1/2  inch apart on parchment paper.  Bake 15-25 minutes until the candies melt, but remove before it starts turning yellow.  Immediately remove from oven.  Use a greased cookie cutter to score heart shapes.  If the score lines melt together, score again.  When completely cooled carefully break out the heart shapes.  About 15% of mine broke-so make extras. Cut brownies into squares and place a heart on each.  Refrigerate for 3 hours (to soften candy). Trust me they are worth the wait.


I think the next time I make them, I'm going to make the brownies on a cookie sheet.  Then I will cut them out with the cookie cutter and then put the candy on top.  They will be awesome peppermint-brownie truffles.


Pin It


Thanks for stopping by, if you're interested in some free clothes-please check out this weeks give-a-way and linky party.

I'm linking up here.

13 comments:

  1. That is so cute, and sounds really good. And I do own a double boiler, but I am pro box mix all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really good. I am totally okay with using a box mix, sometimes I get lazy too! I'm trying to do more from scratch, but I have yet to find a from scratch brownie recipe that I like more than the box brownies. I found you via the Skip to my Lou link party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I love peppermint and chocolate. These look SO good. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do they sound yummy... they are just beautiful! What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing with us tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate and mint - the greatest combination ever! These look so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful! I'd LOVE for you to pop over and link this up in my new Valentine Linky!!! http://southernmomcooks.com/holiday-recipe-link-up-valentines-day/

    Have a great day! Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking them up at my Valentine's linky. I have tweeted, pinned, and stumbled this post. Hopefully it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love peppermint and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great! I love your heart toppers - so clever! If you have the time I would love for you to come link them up to my party - http://www.literallyinspired.com/2012/01/wytbw-can-i-get-do-over.html

    Hope to see you there!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm! You had me at chocolate peppermint! Two of my favorite flavors.. these look too yummy.. can't wait to try them! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and very romantic
    I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank You for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-your-stuff-13-chocolate-cover.html

    ReplyDelete