Thursday, January 5, 2012

#19 Learn how to Hang a Shelf

Pin It
I've been working on the craft room for months, and it may never be finished, but I did make some progress-I hung some shelves!  I have shelves and I can cross off #19 on my 40 by 40 list.


The "craft room" also serves as the office and the library, so it's pretty crowded.  My dad suggested cutting the bookcase in half to make the room look less cluttered.  It's just a cheap one from Wal-mart, so I just sort of took it apart and then put it back together again w/out so many shelves.  I had to paint the top black and now it looks like it came that way.
I stole some shelving from my parents. The brackets were an ugly gray, but I spray painted them oil-rubbed bronze. This shelf was supper easy. I just drilled the brackets to the shelf and then drilled it to the wall. I am so proud of myself. It gave me the confidence to hang more. 

Tadaa!
(storage boxes here)


I couldn't find a tutorial anywhere to hang these types of shelves.  I'm embarassed to say that the first one took me almost 3 hours.  The second took under 10 minutes-here's how to do it.
DO NOT ATTACH THE BRACKETS TO THE SHELF BEFORE YOU HANG IT ON THE WALL, UNLESS YOU ENJOY FRUSTRATION. YOU WILL PROBABLY END UP DROPPING IT ON YOUR HEAD A FEW TIMES AND THIS WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO SWEAR.


Draw line on the wall-use a level so your shelf won't hang crooked. (or go buy yourself a lazer level, so you don't have to erase your pencil marks). 

Decide how far apart you want your brackets to be and draw dots.
If one of your dots is over a stud, just drill a hole, otherwise you need to put in a dry-wall anchor.
 Use a big-ole bit to drill a hole into the wall.


 Next screw the anchor into the wall.  Then, drill the screw in, about 90% into the wall. You want it to poke out a bit.
 Slide the bracket over the screw making sure it catches into the slot on the back.

Finally, place the board on top and screw in place.  (Next time, I'm going to try and counter-sink the screws and put furniture buttons on top)
Tadaa!  So far, all that's up there is an antique sewing machine, but stay tuned.



See that paper on my board-it's my  40 by 40 list and I just crossed off #19!

Linking up here.


6 comments:

  1. That looks great and I am only slightly jealous that you have a craft room! ;-) Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! You look so organized...wanna come fix up my craft room? Thanks for sharing at shine on fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am CRACKING UP!!! You need to look at my FB page and the HOLES I put in our wall the other day when I was trying to hang something in the laundry room!!!
    Your newest CHAOTIC follower!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great tips. I am horrible at hanging stuff. I so need to use a level, but I always forget! Thanks for linking up and sharing!

    www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, gotta love organization! Looks great :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on hanging up your shelves! I always have a hard time with that and leave it up to my husband...unless he wants to see a million holes in the wall where I tried to get it level! Great job!

    ReplyDelete