Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fashion Week Day 4-Make it Work

In September 2009, I accidentally ended up in NYC during fashion week. One of my favorite things about living in my favorite city, DC, is that for $35 and a spirit of adventure you can take a round trip bus ride to Chinatown in New York City. It's not for the picky traveler-no one speaks English and on this particular trip we took a detour through Philly, but it's cheap and that's how I roll.
Our hotel was only a short walk from Mood fabrics. We are HUGE Project Runway fans and so of course we had to see it. The place is HUGE and has bolts of fabric stacked to the ceiling on three floors. I have no idea how those contestants find anything in 30 minutes. They had several of the actual outfits from Project Runway and we got to meet Swatch, the dog. So fun! While there, I bought fabric for 3 skirts.

Here's us at Bryant Park. All fashion shows are in those big tents behind. We had no idea to actually get in to watch a fashion show. We did see a former PR contestant. I can't remember his name, but he was the one that was unnaturally orange and always referred to himself in the 3rd person.


I made this skirt, immediately when we got home. It reminds me of Neapolitan Ice Cream. (It's Butterick pattern 4722)


I finally pulled out the rest of fabric last week and made these:
Same pattern as above out of an apple-green, but I made it a bubble skirt.



I think this fish print is adorable, but I was worried that once I made it she'd think it was too young for her. Boy was I wrong. It is my favorite thing I've made her in a long time. It fits her perfect and has almost a poodle-skirt feel. It also has a fun bounce when she walks. ( It's McCalls pattern 5920-but I added about 6 inches to the length)


She wore it on Sunday and she was ADORABLE (even more than normal). I was just thinking, I should make her a blue Rosette pin for the sweater.



Transformation Thursday




giveaways

8 comments:

  1. Super cute skirts! I'm so jealous you got to go to MOOD, though I'm afraid I'd never leave, and probably go bankrupt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow beautiful skirt and nice looking . nice smile on face and good location . interesting this post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Transformation Thursday. I too am a Project Runway fan and love Mood Fabrics. Cute skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's lucky to have you for a mom :)
    Great skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your link at Pam's party...love your skirts! And the fish fabric is just great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue skirt hangs beautifully!!! How lovely for you that your daughter still likes you sewing for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tara, I've featured your Fish Skirt today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/02/threading-your-way-features_25.html

    ReplyDelete