Thursday, March 17, 2011

I saved summer!


Bathing suit shopping, so far in my daughter's life has been no more difficult than shopping for my boys. EASY! This year it was downright impossible. We went to 5 stores last night-each more disappointing than the last. None of the suits in the girl's section had any padding up top. For modesty's sake, she needs a little padding. The women's section either looked too old lady or too "girl's gone wild".
Since desperation breeds inspiration, I started thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to sew a bra into the lining of her suit. She even had a bra with a broken strap from last year and an old suit that still fit, so I thought I had nothing to lose.
First, I cut off the polka-dot outer fabric and removed the straps. Then I pinned it to the lining of the suit.
I whip-stitched it into place. Be careful to only sew it to the lining and don't go all the way through the actually suit material.
It worked perfectly!It doesn't show from the front at all. Summer is saved! (yes I know it's only March, but I live in Texas and all of our pools are open) I've seen padded bra cup thingies @ the fabric store and I'm going to get some to sew into a few more of her suits.
You might be interested in my other fashion ideas here.
UPDATE: It worked so well that I did it to another suit. She had an old gray knit bra. I was feeling lazy and didn't remove the gray fabric. MISTAKE. The knit fabric doesn't dry very fast and so I'm going to pick it out and start over, this time removing the gray fabric first.

Linking up here.

14 comments:

  1. Way to go!
    I'll keep this in mind when that problem comes up for me with my girls...which won't be for a while yet, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So innovative!! That is the first thing I look for in a suit is a built in bra. . . . but for different reasons ;) Something about sunken treasure . . . . or sunken chests or something along those lines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. T - - I keep wanting to ask you why the "trophy wife?" I've only thought of trophy wife in negative connotations . . . . x-plain please!!!! I would hate to say you aren't a trophy wife (because you a pretty enough to be one) but then you might take that wrong, but on the other hand r.e.a.l.l.y????? You are a trophy wife????? x-plain . . . . . lol!

    Oh my gosh . . . . . my verification word was piriaci . . . . I guess it verfied my sunken treasure status, if pirates are out looking for it!!! "piriaci"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's meant to be tongue in cheek. check out the "me" link at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! makes sense to me now!!!! fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. swimsuit season hasn't yet arrived here in SW Washington, but this is a project I've been needing to get to myself. Thanks for sharing your method!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I will have to keep this in mind for when my little one isn't so little anymore! Great job MOM and thanks for sharing at It's Stinkin' Cute Craft Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang* I was hoping that you had figured out how to sew an invisible bra to hold up the ladies...I've been trying to figure that one out myself!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the costume shop we use shoulder pad liners from the notions section.
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your idea we were just talking about something like this at work the other day thanks for sharing your idea come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great idea!
    Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party.

    ReplyDelete