Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oktober Fest Day 5- Sauerbraten

Sauerbraten

Thanks so much for joining me for my last day of my virtual Oktoberfest. The blog will return next week to our regularly scheduled crafts, diy, and general merriment.

Above is a picture and link to traditional German meal-Sauerbraten.  While I've never tried this actual recipe, I've had many similar and they are yummy, but mine tastes better and doesn't take 3 days.  Sauerbraten and Chicken Lasagna are my husband's all time favorite meals.  I really like it too, but my heart belongs to Rouladen.  

4lb roast
1 T oil
1-2 chopped onions
6 T brown sugar
2 t salt
2 t pepper
2 t ginger
1/4t cloves
1/4 t allspice (optional)
12bay leaf
1 cup water
1 1 /3 cup red wine vinegar

Brown roast in oil in large dutch oven. Mix rest of ingredients and pour over roast. Cover and simmer for as long as possible (the longer the better), but at least 2 1/2 hours. It works great in a crock pot too.

Germans will eat it sliced up like you would roast beef. However, living south of the Mason-Dixon line I prefer it it cooked so long that it falls apart and you shred it like you do pulled BBQ pork.  Yummy! It may not be as pretty, but you're going to eat it, not take a picture of it.
Optional-mix 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup flour, stir into pan drippings to make gravy. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy is smooth.

You must serve w/ Rotkohl (red cabbage) and Spaetzel . Gurken Salat is yummy, but not mandatory. You can also serve it w/ Knoedel (big potato balls), but since I am the only one in my family that likes them, I've never made them?



Click here to enter your fabulous projects at this week's linky party.

Linking up here

4 comments:

  1. My step-mom makes this and I love it...she's from Germany. She's just never gotten around to giving me the recipe ;). Thanks for sharing...can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this one compares. If her's is better, please pass it along:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of sauerbraten before but always (erroneously apparently) assumed it had sauerkraut in it. This sounds good!

    Thanks for linking up to Friday Food on Momtrends.com!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for telling me you had this recipe...yup, I pinned it!

    Smiles, Suzanne in NW IL
    (Follower and Party Goer)

    ReplyDelete