Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oktoberfest Day 3-Rotkohl

(does this picture look familiar-I forgot to take a picture of it by itself)

Rotkohl is the German equivalent of salsa.  It us sweet, sour and savory and just makes all German food taste better.  I used to just buy it, but as my kids of gotten older, we were eating 2 - $3 jars at a time and so I figured I better learn how to make my own.

1 Head of red cabbage
1 tart green apple (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
olive oil or butter
2/3 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
3 T brown sugar
1/8 tsp cloves
salt and pepper

Saute onion and apple in oil until tender.  Add thinly sliced cabbage,  Add everything else and simmer until tender (1-2 hours),  If at all possible, it is really better the next day.

Eat hot with Rouladen, Spaetzle, Sauerbraten (recipe coming) or with any meat and potatoes type dish or cold with sausages or sandwiches.  One of my kids will eat it straight out of the fridge.
Mahlzeit!

Click here to enter your fabulous projects at this week's linky party.

Linking up here

2 comments:

  1. love fall because it offers great cooking and meals like this come see what I have been sharing at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete