Friday, October 28, 2011

Practically Perfect in Every Way Tutorial

I am having a very great day! We are having our first cold front of the year.  It's sunny and 60 with a cool breeze-weather perfection. I went to the library to pick up a new book by one of my favorite authors: Falling Together: A Novel by Marisa De los Santos. When I got home, there was a package of containing 6 cans of Krylon spray paint that I won from the CSI Project!  Then I worked on some accessories for my daughter's Halloween Costume without a single fail! 
Can you guess who's she is going to be?
Ugly Purse from Goodwill. (.50)

I started w/ a plain umbrella and some tin foil. ($2)

 I shaped the foil into parrot head.
 Using my paper mache skills that I learned making my Death Star Pinata, I covered the bird head.  I covered the umbrella w/ a garbage bag to protect it, b/c I am a messy crafter.
After it dried, I painted it to look like a parrot head.  It's not perfect, but I kind of love and it will be dark right? I will probably go spray some sealer on it.

To make her hat, I pulled a hat out of the dress-up box and attached small Christmas bulbs and daisy's. To make the edges wonky, I wet it down and used clothespins to fold it up until it dried.

Here's a hint:
I'm linking up here.




I stole the shirt from my Mom's closet and made the tie and sash out of red satin.
I know that Mary usually wears a coat when she goes out, but my Mary lives in Texas and she would melt.

Click HERE to see 12 years of crazy costumes.
Visit thecsiproject.com

18 comments:

  1. 6 cans of spray paint? Awesome! Costume assessories look GREAT!

    And how did I miss that Marisa De los Santos had a new book out??? Can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great - I really love the parrot umbrella. Would love for you to link this to my Craftastic party:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the parrot idea, I thought it was a turkey at first until reading your post! Love your clever display, where did you get the idea for the parrot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of your parrot Umbrella!& I Mary Poppins~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my! it's completely perfect and so darling! Love the creativity of creating the umbrella handle! thanks for linking up to Mom it monday! I've share it on my FB page too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, great costume. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is going to be a fantastic costume! My daughter and I are reading that right now. I love Mary Poppins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely perfect! Thanks so much for linking it up today!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME! I'm so impressed with the umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is amazing! I especially love the umbrella, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sooo in love with the umbrella.. and what a clever way to make the handle into a parrot face! You rock!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Girl! This got most clicked link on Wickedly Crafty Saturdays!
    http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/2011/11/wickedly-crafty-saturdays-110511.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love it!!
    You did such a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this costume. So creative. I would love for you to link it up to Masquerade Ball costume contest. It ends tomorrow. Hope to see you there.

    http://bit.ly/TMrFhG
    Adrienne
    www.freetimefrolics.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! You did a great job! I hope you will link this up to The CSI Project starting tonight. The challenge is DIY Halloween Costumes. You just might win!!!!

    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete