Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oktober Fest Day 2: Spaetlze-German Pancake Egg Noodles

My family went to a German restaurant last week.  For the most part the food was really good-except they didn't serve Spaetzle.  To me that's like going to a Mexican restaurant w/ out tortillas. 
Spaetzle is a homemade egg noodle and it's yummy!  Here's how I make it:

Mix :
1 2/3 cups flour
3 eggs
1 t salt


Slowly add 5 oz. warm water.  
This will form a really thick gooey dough.

 Traditionally, the noodles are formed with a small board and a scrapper.  (I've also seen people to use colanders to make the noodles) You can just use any small cutting board and a plastic scrapper like the green one in the picture.
Spread a layer of dough on the board and scrap small strips into a pot of salted boiling water. When they rise to the top, they are cooked.  Remove them and place into a colander. Repeat until all the noodles are cooked.


.

(I always double the recipe-but we are pigs.)
We eat this with Rouladen, Saurbraten, and they make great noodles for chicken-noodle soup.

Mahlzeit!
Click here to enter your fabulous projects at this week's linky party.

Linking up here

7 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make German style noodles like these, can't wait to try this!

    Stephanie
    chocolatecoveredbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God, how I loved Spaetzle when I was in Switzerland. Never seen them since. Now I know how! Thanks for showing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yummy, Ive never heard of German noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I have to try these. I pinned them so I will be all set for future reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful recipe! I've never tried spaetlze, but it's a must-try now!

    Thank you for being a part of the creative spirit on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yummy! I'm German and I love all the yummy German foods...rouladen is by far my favorite! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see you again on Wednesday!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete