Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Oktoberfest Day 1-Rouladen

I love German food and thought I would share a few recipes with you this week.  Rouladen is my absolute favorite.  When you hear the ingredients you may find them a little strange, but trust me, they are yummy!
1 large onion chopped
8 oz dill pickles chopped
Diced Bacon cooked
Spicy Brown Mustard (German senf is the best)
2 1/2 cups beef stock
1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced beef

Step 1: Chop up onions and pickles.
 Step 2: After pounding the meat flat (use a tenderizer or the side of a plate), spread a layer of mustard on each piece.

Step 3: top with pickles, onions, and bacon pieces (did I loose you-stick w/ me I know it sounds strange, but it's yummy).  Instead of bacon bits, you can use 1-2 pieces of raw bacon for each roll-it's more authentic, but I don't like the idea of all that bacon fat.

Step 4: Roll it up like a burrito and secure with a toothpick. (Apparently after this step, I got so excited about eating the Rouladen that I forgot to take pictures. )

Step 5: Brown the rolls in a little olive oil or butter.

Step 6: Add beef stock . Because I can't let anything go to waste, I dump in any leftover onions and pickles.  Cover and let simmer a few hours.
If you want to be authentic you should add some Maggi (it's kinda like German soy sauce) or just add salt to taste.
Step 7: Right before serving, remove rolls.  Mix a 1/2 cup cold water and 1/4 cup flour.  Gradually add to pan and stir until mixed well and it makes a thick gravy.

Serve with Rotkohl and Spaetzel

I made this a few nights ago and I'm all out of leftovers and this picture is making me hungry.

   UPDATE:    I wanted to make Rouladen but I was missing a few ingredients.  I made some substitutions and I think it was the best EVER! 
I used sweet relish instead of chopped dill pickles
I used Pancetta instead of bacon.
I cooked it in the slow cooker for 4 hours on high.

Linking up HERE.


  1. Thanks for stopping by caramelpotatoes.com!
    following you back - thanks!

    Love this recipe - my husband served in Germany and we used to go to this German Restaurant in Orem to get Rouladen when we were at BYU- it was so good! I'm going to have to surprize him with this!!

  2. Growing up my Mom would make Rouladen all the time and I totally have to make this now that I found it, thanks!

  3. Love it! Please post this, and anything else you may have,in my link party at



  4. Mmm that looks delicious. Beef and dill pickle are delicious together.