Friday, February 24, 2012

Key Lime Pie-Do Fresh limes make a difference?


Last November, the hubby and I went to Key West.  After completing a bike tour of the island (coolest way ever to sight-see by-the-way), we were rewarded w/ a piece of Key Lime Pie. Because I've been craving Key Lime Pie ever since, I decided to make my own and do a little experiment to see if you can tell the difference between fresh limes and Key Lime juice concentrate. For both pies, I used this recipe HERE. I made the fresh one first.






 


Squeezing all those tiny limes was a pain. You needed an entire bag.



I was too impatient and cut it before it was properly set up so it looked like this.  It wasn't pretty, but it was delicious.  If there weren't other people in the room, I would have licked my plate clean. Actually, if all the other people would have left the room, I would have licked their plates clean too:)


The next week, I made the same recipe but with key lime juice in a bottle.  I still used fresh lime zest.  It was still good (it looked better, b/c I let it set up), if I hadn't made the fresh one the week before, I would have really liked it.  However, after having the fresh one, I was disappointed.  The fresh one just tasted lighter and had a better sweet/ tart balance.


Bottom line: fresh is best


Need a St.Patty's Day treat?



20 comments:

  1. I have never been a huge fan of key lime pie until I made my own just last week. It was so yummm! I used a recipe off allrecipes.com that was super simple. I didn't use fresh limes though. I'll have to try that next time. Your recipe sounds amazing and looks amazing too.

    I am following your blog. I found you through the linky blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I love key lime pie! I haven't thought about making my own, but may have to try now! I am hosting a Link Party today and would love for you to add these, and anything else you like!

    http://www.mom4realky.blogspot.com/2012/02/4-real-friday-link-party-2.html

    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks so good!! I would love some right now!! I am going to have to make this soon! Thanks for sharing! Found you from the Linky Follow Blog hop and am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by and following via the Linky Followers Blog Hop at Its So Very Cheri!!! Be great to have you follow back. Have a great day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love key lime pie, too! I have tried using a mix of regular limes and lemons and it comes very close, if you can't get the key limes. Oh, and an old Florida dude told me to add a pinch of salt to the filling too. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily my grocery store sells them. Maybe I'll try the pinch of salt next time. I used salted butter.

      Delete
  6. I honestly just saw key limes for the first time in the grocery store last week... I have always used regular limes because I could never find them. My DH loves key lime pie (well minus the key part)... I need to make him one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love key lime pie! I will have to try this recipe....I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2012/02/sweet-saturday-link-party-v26_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious! I will have to give the fresh limes a try. Found you via the linky hop and have become your newest follower. Hope you have a chance to visit and perhaps follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Years ago I ate my way through the Keys trying to find the best Key Lime Pie! I will have to try your recipe! (Going again in April, I'll have to try the taste test again!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. THERE never is a substitute for fresh. never ever.
    I also loved that key lime pie when vacationing on Key West ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. How delicious! I need to try key lime pie, can you believe I've never tried it? Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmmmmmmm. you are making me crave Key Lime pie. I love it and better yet, Key Lime Cheesecake. Thanks for sharing. I just found you through Crazy for Crust. I am your newest follower. Do stop by and say hello.....Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love it if you came over to CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY and shared your yummy recipe with us! Thanks, I hope to see you there! ---Sheryl---
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=25565

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on squeezing key limes. There must be a better way?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...I've been craving key lime pie lately, but never made it before....I may have to give this a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this recipe. I hope you will stop by and link up to my St. Patty's Day Project Parade.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds delicious...thanks for doing the experiment for us to benefit from :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fresh is always better, but it's soooooooo difficult to get ripe Key Limes in the grocery store. The key limes in your picture are not ripe. Ripe Key Limes are yellow, not green. We live in Virginia, so I resign myself to using bottled key lime juice.

    ReplyDelete