Friday, November 11, 2011

Tomato Basil soup-Crowd Size


A few weeks ago my hubby and I went out to dinner.  He ordered tomato-basil soup. As usual, I asked for a bite, and then was immediately sorry, that I hadn't ordered it too. 
My family was coming to dinner a few nights later, and I wanted to make something yummy.  I combined a few different recipes and did some multiplication to make it crowd-size.  This would be perfect for any big family gatherings.

 6 cloves garlic(or 3 tsp jared minced garlic)
Olive Oil
1 #10 can tomatoes
1 tsp sea salt
4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tb chopped fresh basil (or 3 tsp dried)
6 tsp better than bouillon
2 cups H2O

Brown the garlic in olive oil.  Add everything else, but the cream. Simmer 20 minutes.  Add cream to finish.  Garnish with fresh basil. 
Easy Peasy and so yummy.  I was worried it wouldn't go over w/ the kids-but it was a hit.  They all emptied their bowls and went back for seconds-that never happens.

Tips:  If you want it smooth-stick it in the blender before serving.

You can substitute milk or fat-free scour cream for the heavy cream.



Linking up here.


;
Visit thecsiproject.com

8 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I love tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Tomato basil soup is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy- I love Tomato Basil Soup but don't have a good recipe yet- thanks for posting.

    Just to let you know I featured this recipe on my blog today-
    http://xstitchandcrafts.blogspot.com/2011/11/tuesday-10-10-amazing-thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummo! And so frugal:) This post is so informative and I think my subscribers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable today. And, I really hope that you will put Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Wednesday! Here’s the link: http://frugallysustainable.blogspot.com/2011/11/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-1.html

    Warmly,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
    Here's the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made it:) Thank you so very much for linking up to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways:) I'm so happy to "meet" you! I am totally loving your blog and your posts! I really hope you make Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways a part of your Wednesdays! And keep the great posts comin'
    Very sincerely,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so nice. will have to try it

    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday.
    Hope to see you there again tomorrow

    Natasha xxx

    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete