Thursday, November 3, 2011

Teaching Kids Gratitude

Confession:  We stink at any kind of consistant spiritual study as a family (just keeping it real).    I want to do some sort of morning devotional with the kiddos before I send them out each day into the world.

We started again Monday morning with scripture study. Honestly, it consisted mostly of me reading and them running around trying to find shoes and back-packs, but I'm calling it progress. 
I was inspired by this idea at Somewhat SimpleShe cut out activities for each day to help her kids remember to be thankful.  I thought it would be fun to focus on a different value each month as part of our morning devotional.

I used the Krylon Chalkboard paint that I won at the CSI project to upcycle this pot.
Then I made some strips that say "I am thankful for" pdf here


Each morning I'll have them fill out a strip and add it to the pot. 
We started this morning and I'm declaring it a success.

What value should we do next?



I'm linking up here.

7 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm looking to do something similar with my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I just made a huge tree and we're adding leaves of what we are thankful for each night at dinner for Novemeber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this and the printable!! it's just what i need. pinning it!

    Would Love it if you could share this on my linky party - Serenity Saturday -
    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. What a great way to get kids to start thinking about what they are grateful for and their blessings in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking up at Serenity Saturday link party

    Hope you can come and join us this week too

    Natasha xx

    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creative idea, I think it's great you are changing the values each month, keep us posted as to ones you do. I'm visiting from Bowl Full of Lemons, Manners would be a good one, or acts of kindness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have a gratitude jar at my home where my kids put the note with the thing written on it that they are grateful for. I being a mom, give a read to those notes daily and I couldn’t stop my laughter when one of my children’s has written that goes like “I am grateful that I found some to Take My Online Statistics Class For Me”.

    ReplyDelete