Saturday, August 20, 2011

How to have the coolest backpack in school

I am not one of lucky people that live w/ in reasonable driving distance of a Down East.  However, this summer on our Mother-of-all-road trips, I had the pleasure.  They sell monogrammed pottery barn back packs for $9.99 ($8.99 w/ my military discount).  My daughter loved it, despite the fact that here initials are not LMT.  The saleslady said you can pick out the stitching, which we did, but we could still see the outline. (I bought my son a red one, that looked perfect after removing the monogram).  I was making luggage tags for some storage boxes, and thought it would be a perfect way to hide it.
First, I cut up an old frozen pizza box into a 3 1/2 by 2 1/2 rectangles.  Then I cut out the inside of one of them.  Then I cut fabric rectangles, slightly larger.
Then I folded, ironed, and used Tacky Glue to  cover the cardboard w/ the fabric.

Then I stitched (close to the edged) along the inside rectangle and the top edge of the rectangle.

Then I placed the rectangles together and stitched along each side and along the bottom ( I left the top open so we could insert stuff later).
Optional:  Cut out some rectangles out of page protectors.

 She busted out some stamps and made herself a little tag. Adorable?
 So if you happen to see a really good deal on a backpack for someone named Giovanni, Melvin, or Florence, have no fear, just make a cute little tag to put over it. It is so much easier than changing your kid's names.


Click here for more of my awesome tips.

They are talking about me at CraftGossip.com

8 comments:

  1. Cute. I'd like to order 5 of them please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo adorable! And what a great way to change up a back pack with a little decoration! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative idea!! please come and share this on my Mommy Monday link up! http://momommamoney.blogspot.com/2011/08/mommy-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!
    We would love to have you join us at our link party. Crafty Lassie Tuesday!
    www.sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com
    Thanks!
    Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I love DownEast and frequently see those backpacks and other items with hot names like Giovanni . . . ha ha! I am going to remember this! Your blog is so cute- and I loved your little blurb about yourself . . . you are definitely a hot little trophy wife! :) I am a new follower!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is always beautiful when you have good health.i have be in pain for almost 1 year had HSV 1&2 and I was lonely and sad, luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Oliha who helped me cure my HSV 1&2 and today I am free from the virus and very healthy thank you so much Dr Oliha .Email
    oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com
    you can also whatsapp/Call him; +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete