Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Super Family!

I set a goal for myself, to work on my lessons the Sunday before, instead of rushing something together every Sunday morning. In my enthusiasm, I read the calendar wrong and I don’t even teach this Sunday. I guess I’ll just save my cute road trip handouts for another time.

The next 2 lessons  for my Young Women class are on families. I think I'm going to use the celestial airlines idea from Sugardoodle for one of them.

I had so much fun making the superfamily home evening chart that I’ve been looking for another excuse to make little Cricut superheroes. I’m going to base my lesson on the idea that we all need to develop our “super powers” to make our families super.
For example:
Super Vision: See only the good in others, have eternal perspective, see what needs to be done and do it
Super Hearing: become a good listener
Super Strength: integrity, honesty etc.
Super Speed: Be quick to forgive, quick to help
etc.

You could really go on and on here and I'm really excited to here what my girls come up with.

I’m also going to talk about family kryptonite (selfishness, jealousy, pride, disobedience etc.).

I was going to put this all on the handout, but I thought instead we’d just talk about it and then I’d have them record in their notebooks some superpowers that they could develop to make their family SUPER. I thought it would be more effective for them to come up w/ ideas, then me just telling them.
If you don’t have a Cricut, you could always just put a super hero emblem, or have each girl design their own with their own initials.










It looks a little plain, I think I may go back and add some clouds or something.



Another idea about families from my hubby, that is genius, but I can't use it b/c he just did.



While on a recent trip to NYC, we watched an impressive sunset from the observation deck of the Empire State Building. It is an amazing building that soars high above Manhattan. However, that great view would not be possible without a foundation that extends over 2 acres and is 55 feet deep. Learn how it was built here. So to create amazing families, we also need great foundations and you could discuss with your girls what it takes to build them. You could really have a lot of fun with this theme. Builders, soaring to great heights, the "integrity of the building" tools you need for building. You could even get into the 3 little pigs story.


For a handout, you could either make something Art Deco (b/c who doesn't love Art Deco) or make "wish you were here" type postcard. On the back the girls could right some promises to their future selves. Feel free to use this one.




You could also use any great building in your area.
Update:
I added a building and now I like it much better.



Click here for more YW ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I love these ideas...I will be stealing them, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be an awesome teacher! Thank you for the example of magnifying your calling. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete