Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Romantic dinner for 5

Since a romantic candlelight dinner wasn't going to happen, I thought I'd make a special kid-friendly Valentine Meal. It really wasn't any more work than normal-just more fun.

I feel I missed the opportunity to make the craisans into a heart before I tossed the salad-next year.

Spinach Salad
(My kid's don't love veggies, but will eat this stuff like it's Captain Crunch. We eat this salad a few nights a week)
Blend in blender:
3/4 cups olive oil
3/4 cups red wine vinegar
1 cup sugar (or splenda)
3/4 t dry mustard
1 1/2 ts salt
1/2 red onion

Mix w/ spinach, craisans, candy almonds, chopped red onion. (it gets soggy fast, so don't put the dressing on until right before you serve it)

*How to make candy almonds: Put a few Tb of white sugar in a pan on medium heat and throw in some sliced almonds. Stir until the sugar melts and coats the almonds. (It takes about 5 minutes and smells amazing).

Mom's Meatloaf
(b/c what says I love you more than heart-shaped meat)
Growing up, I could never figure out why meatloaf has a reputation of being only slightly tastier than liver and onions. My Mom's was always awesome. As an adult, I've had the misfortune of eating dry spongy masses that other people call meatloaf. However, this one is like a big yummy gourmet burger and even my pickiest kid had thirds. Trust me.
Mix together (works best w/ your hands)
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cups milk
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 slices cubed bread
chopped onion
2 lb ground beef
Bake @350 for 1 hour.
Mix together:
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1T mustard
Frost meatloaf w/ catsup mixture and return to over for 15-20 more minutes.
I always double the sauce so I have some to serve w/ the meatloaf.


Pink mash potatoes
Posted by PicasaFruit pizza
(can you see the heart. My fruit-art skills could use a little work)
It was a fun, tasty meal.


8 comments:

  1. Tara, in my next life I want to be you! How Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!
    Thanks for the meatloaf recipe, I don't have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me I love salad with cran/rasins in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! You are so lucky your kids will eat spinach salad--though yours does look especially tasty! Cute idea to do a heart-shaped meatloaf. I usually do a heart shaped pizza, but meatloaf makes it seem slightly fancier than pizza :) Thanks for commenting on my blog, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This all looks amazing! I love a good spinach salad too :) Thanks for sharing on CSI project.
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  6. For your first Valentine’s together, you gave her roses. For the next, you cooked her dinner. You’ve bought her chocolates and you’ve surprised her with champagne.
    Romantic meals

    ReplyDelete

  7. Nice work .Thanks for the share. Keep up writing so that we can get more yummy recipe like this one.
    Romantic dinner recipes

    ReplyDelete