Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What I am Going to be Reading Wednesdays



Even though I don't think we had near enough summer fun, school started on Monday.  My kid's have more activities during the fall, than any other time of year. It is crazy, but  I have tons of time to read at all their lessons and practices.  

Here's what I have stacked up ready to read:

Silver Star by Jeanette Walls-I love her book Glass Castle and would frankly read the phone book if someone told me she wrote it. Her first 2 books, were autobiographical and I can't wait to see what she can do with fiction. 

The Devil You Know and Vicious Circle by Mike Carey- It is about a free-lance exorcist and Jen declared it "unrealistic but entertaining".  I'm in.  

Ireland by Frank Delany-I think it's about Ireland. My friend Kammy declared herself "obsessed" and it has been so very long since I read a book that I loved, and I really hope I love this one. I wonder if the audio-book is read in an Irish accent?  That would be fabulous.

Fault in Our Stars by John Green-This is my bookclub book. I read it several months ago, but strangely never blogged about it.  Kammy's review here.  It is about 2 kids fighting cancer while falling in love.  Unless you want to look a little mentally unstable, I wouldn't read it in public. 
It is guaranteed to make you laugh, think, and cry.

Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers- After watching the trailer of Saving Mr. Banks, I picked it for my book for book club. How good does this movie look?

I also checked out Mary Poppins, She Wrote : The Life of P.L. Travers by Valerie Lawson to do a fact checking (yes I am a big nerd).

And the Mountains Echoes by Khaled Hosseini
 (the guy that wrote Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns).  Honestly, I am not really sure what it's about-probably Afghanistan. After writing 2 such amazing books, I'm hope I won't be disappointed in the third.


Have you read any of these books?  What's on your to read list?


3 comments:

  1. So after finishing Ireland (loved the ending). I looked up Frank Delaney who was a BBC broadcaster for years before writing. SO now, even though I don't like audiobooks, I'm thinking he would be great to listen to him reading one of his books. I think next road trip I'll try to track down a copy. I hope you like it. I can see that people may think it's slow moving at times. And sometimes you want to know what's going to happen next with Ronan so you want to skim over the stories.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing, NPR has called him "The most eloquent man in the world," so I think I'll look into his podcast. See what I mean about obsessed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too read Ireland a few years ago. Really enjoyed it. Great stories woven within the story of Ronan that is all about Ireland. Makes one want to be Irish or at least have some ancestry that is so you can claim Irish blood runs through your veins even though it may be VERY diluted!

    ReplyDelete