Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lentil Chili



So apparently I will do anything my friends will do. We did a cleanse for 10 days this summer.  The rules were that we could eat as many fruits and vegetables as we wanted, as long as we ate twice as many veggies.  We couldn't eat any sugar, meat or dairy, and could only eat one serving of either brown rice or lentils a day.  

I wasn't really hungry, but it did take all the fun out of eating and made me hate raw vegetables.

I combined a few recipes  (mostly this one here)to make some pretty tasty lentil chili and it was the highlight of an otherwise bland 10 days. Here's the recipe:

2 tsp. olive oil 
1 medium onion, chopped in small pieces 
1 bag frozen peppers/onions (fajita blend)
2 tsp. finely minced garlic
 2 T Chili Powder 
1 T ground cumin 
1 tsp. dried oregano 
 1/8 tsp. cayenne
 1 1/4 cup dried red lentils  
( 14 oz. can) vegetable broth + 2 can water 
 tomato paste-small can

Saute onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil. Add everything but tomato paste.  Cover and let simmer until lentils are soft (about an hour).  You may need to add more water.  Add tomato paste and let simmer 15 more minutes. 

Top w/ Greek yogurt and enjoy.  My family was skeptical  but they liked it-even my husband.

2 comments:

  1. That chille looks so delish, you have inspired me to make a big pot for the family, I think they will love it, and maybe some cornbread, really corny cornbread, yummy, thanks for inspiring me...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a big slice of cornbread dripping with honey butter:)

      Delete