Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesdays: 10 Miles Past Normal



I saw this on a list of top Young Adult Literature, so thought I'd give it a read. 

After an elementary field trip to a farm, Janie pleaded with her parents to buy a farm.  Unfortunately, they did and now several years later she, would love to move back to her house in town. Her attempts to be a normal high school freshmen, are thwarted by going to school smelling like goats and by her mom's documenting their adventures in farming on her blog.  

It was a quick read with quirky relatable characters.  It's even fairly clean.  I'd give it a 4/5 stars. 

Here's some quotes: 

  • I kept looking at him sideways as we made our way down the hall, wondering why some people could totally be themselves and still be accepted by everyone, while other people—people who did everything in the world to fit in—were shunned like the runts of the litter.

  • I’ve realized that when you move beyond normal, the road you’re on doesn’t necessarily take you to the land of the abnormal or the weird or the freakish.


  
Recently divorced Kate, moves into her childhood summer home, "The Nutshell".  Needing money for renovations, she agrees to spy for a local owner of a brewery  to help him discover who is sabotaging his business.  Amidst many misadventures, they fall for each other.  
Standard Janet Evanovich.Predictable and entertaining. 3/5 stars.


I give up on this one-at least for now.  It was my book club book, and I just couldn't read past page 62.  Rumor has it that it gets better. 
 I read "Chasing Lincoln's Killer" by James L. Swanson and few years ago and found that a much better book on the subject. 


What have you been reading?

3 comments:


  1. Great reading recommendations <3 .. These are some pretty good choices to gear up my literary meter :p

    I have recently started reading "Eleven Minutes" BY paulo coelo.. Its a good read so far :D

    Love
    Jessica x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wide variety you read! I am currently OBSESSING over Ireland by Frank Delaney. I hope to finish it off tonight. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that first quote really sums up high school, doesn't it?

    I just finished up Vicious Circle by Mike Carey - a futuristic world where ghosts, zombies, werewolves and demons live together. Exorcists and a secret Catholic sect of demon hunters are on the hunt for a band of satanists who are trying to raise the devil. Totally unrealistic but entertaining.

    Last night I read the first few chapters of Divergent by Veronica Webb and so far it's very "Hunger Games". I'm always chasing the magic of that series when I pick up young adult lit, so that's fine with me!

    ReplyDelete