Thursday, May 16, 2013

Good-bye Party-There's No Place Like Home



I am lucky enough to work with a group of ladies at church, whose job is to put on a monthly activity for the rest of the ladies at church.  Since we have 7 ladies moving this summer, we decided to do a good-bye dinner.  Because everything is better w/ a theme we chose Wizard of Oz.

Here's what a group of amazing women can do with a guest list of 40 women and a budget of $100.

Did you know that after Dorothy went back to Kansas, the Tin Man opened up a potato bar?  
I failed to get a picture of the tin-foil wrapped baked-potatoes and the "toronado" (sour cream).  I also made a "Great and Wonderful Salad (aka spinach salad) that also didn't get photographed.  I dug through the toolbox to find spare bolts and screws to make the little signs.    We also had melted witch punch made my Amber at Mule and Nag.  (We normally call it Yoda Soda at my house full of boys).
It is a tragedy of epic proportions that I didn't snap another pick of the dessert table fully loaded with the full rainbow of 500 cupcakes.  We had orange creamsicle, key lime, pina colada, PB chocolate, and red velvet -all amazing.
I did manage to snap a pic of the "table legs" I stole from here. The wicked witch is apparently having some water retention issues.
 I made them from an old pair of shoes I sprayed w/ glitter paint and old soccer socks that I stuffed w/ grocery bags and striped white.
I don't know if these turned out exactly as I envisioned, but we here's our table decor spotlighting HEART, BRAINS, and COURAGE.


I did about a 2 minute devotional on the things I've learned from the Wizard of Oz:
It’s better to be a good witch than a bad witch

Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable

 There’s no place like home (our eternal home).

Do not confuse courage with wisdom.

Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don’t they?

That all it takes is one little girl to destroy wickedness.

You’ve always had the power to find your way home.

And finally,
A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.

Life is a journey, and just like in the movie, it is only possible with the help of good friends as they share their brains, courage, and mostly their hearts with us. 


Ahead of time, we assigned someone to spotlight each lady that was moving and how she had been an example of courage, heart, and brains.  There may have been a few tears.


We gave them each a twix bar covered w/ the wrappers that I made: (pdf here)

To finish off the night 2 woman sang the song "For Good" from Wicked and everyone got to leave w/ a bookmark with the lyrics.



It was an OZ-SOME night!

11 comments:

  1. We had a RS activity like that. Except they focused on the brains, heart, and courage we need in our daily life. They had 3 different ladies talk about what they had learned from having courage (or a brain, or a heart.)
    What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a cute and fun party! What great ideas you guys came up with for the theme. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Such a great activity. I love all the wonderful ideas you had. I especially liked the witch table legs :)
    I bet the ladies moving loved it!
    I remember singing that song with Rebekah when a few ladies were leaving our ward here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where do you think I got the idea from: 3 years later and I am still touched by it and think of you guys whenever I hear it.

      Delete
  4. This is a great theme for a party! I love the table legs and how everyone shared heart, courage & brains stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really fun idea! I love it!! And I am a big fan of the yellow bricks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute idea! I am pinning this for later. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea! Love those party favors, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! Love the legs - so clever!
    I would love if you stopped by my linky party happening now to share this!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    staceyembracingchange.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cleaver, you are invited to share this with Show Your Stuff:

    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2013/05/nutella-pudding-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, here is the correct link to the party:
      http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2013/05/peanut-butter-pudding-cookies-show-your.html

      Delete