Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book Club Grub-Clara and Mr. Tiffany

Part of my book club hostess duties included bringing good snacks. We read Clara and Mr. Tiffany, and I vaguely remember making Stain-Glassed Sugar Cookies as a kid and thought they would be perfect. 

I was pleasantly surprised that they worked out. Maybe not as pretty as Tiffany lamps, but much tastier.

To make them, just used your favorite sugar cookie recipe and cut out shapes w/ in your cookie dough. Place shape on a cookie sheet lined w/ parchment paper (I used my Silpat).  Fill the inside shape with crushed candy (I used Jolly Ranchers) and bake as usual. Let the cookies cool before you remove them or all the candy part will stay on the pan.

In case you need a good sugar cookie recipe, I will share my MIL's. They are the world's best (Just don't tell my mother who thinks she actually makes the world's best sugar cookies.)

Cream:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream

Mix:
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking pwd
1/2 tsp salt

Beat wet and dry until well combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a few hours.  

TIP: The key to making the best sugar cookies :
1.keeping the dough as cold as possible 
2. using the least amount of flour as possible. The more flower you use, the tougher they will be. Work with a small amount of dough (leave the rest in the fridge) on a very lightly floured surface.  
3. roll dough to an even thickness (It will help them bake evenly).  

Cut out shapes and place on a cookie sheet lined w/ parchment paper (or a Silpat).  Bake at 350 for 9 minutes.

I also made:




Mine are not as pretty as "Real Mom Kitchen's. These were amazing and it is taking every ounce of restraint I have not to run downstairs and finish off the rest of the pan.

4 comments:

  1. YUM! I really wish I was in your book club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look beautiful!! I've been wanting to try to make them too, I hope they come out as pretty as yours! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so neat! I especially like the look of the tulip and butterfly.

    Thanks for the extra tips! My sugar cookies never turn out well.

    -Cole
    http://youngmommymemoirs.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete