Thursday, May 3, 2012

Eat something I grew myself #17


Last year's garden was a dismal failure. So I set #17 on my 40 by 40 list to eat something I grew myself.
 I learned from last year's mistakes:

1. Used better soil 
1/3 Blended Composts, 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Coarse Vermiculite  
I just bought a pre-mixed one  
2.  Moved garden so it got more sun 
veggies need at least 6-7 hours of full sun
3. Planted a few weeks earlier
It may also have helped that, unlike last year,  we weren't in the worst drought ever.
It worked! Behold the $80 cucumber!
 

Action shots below


It was yummy!  The garden is looking good, and I'm hoping to get tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and more cucumbers.


There's an entire book on square foot gardening, but if you're too lazy like me, start here:   There is a book that's supposed to be great, but I was too lazy to read it.  The site has a ton of great info.  Start here: http://www.squarefootgardening.org/top10faqs#!__top10faqs


Only 23 more goals to go before I turned 40!

To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Nothing beats the taste, or satisfaction, of home grow vegies... not that I've had much success growing them. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That better have been a GOOD cucumber! lol Must be satisfying indeed to eat what you've grown. But how are you already getting veggies from your garden?!?! I hate Canada sometimes... just last week we were still getting very near freezing temperatures. One day we will also have our own garden! Until then, I must do my research!!
    Look forward to seeing what else you get from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. could you email me the square foot gardening mixture? couldn't exactly find the 'recipe' at the site. skeime at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Idea to set goals! This sounds like a post that I may be writing in the future, but I am doubtful of getting it right this year after reading your list of Do's.--I just realized how much I didn't DO! Thanks so much for linking up to Rustic Restorations Weekend's First Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete