Thursday, November 1, 2012

When's Too Old to Trick-or-Treat?

 Here's our crew last night.  I didn't manage to coerce them into any of my several brilliant family costume ideas.

My boys insisted they were going as "skaters".  This would involve them wearing their normal clothes and riding skate boards instead of walking.  I told them this was LAME and UNSAFE.   

My youngest wanted to be a zombie.  I thought this was lame, but at least he wouldn't be running anyone over on his skateboard.

My husband and I informed the boys that this was their last year to be a zombie and next year he would be applying the "No costume- no candy" policy.




So I have 2 Halloween Etiquette questions for you:

1. How old is too old for trick-or-treating?

2.  What time do you trick-or-treat?


Here are my answers:
1. Never as long as you have a good costume. I think it's lame when teenagers walk around asking for candy without putting any effort into a costume.  If you are going to participate-then participate.

2.  I think 6:00-8:00 pm.  I was really surprised no one really showed up until almost 7:00 around here.

3. Anything else bug you?

7 comments:

  1. Too old was 12 growing up. My parents also said that anyone that was taller than me didn't get candy. Of course that was like almost 20 years ago.
    I agree about teenagers. If they are going to participate, then I will give out the candy. Well I think that idea pretty much applies to anyone. Participate and you will get candy.
    Around here, we had a trunk or treat at 6, and we got home around 7. But we only saw 5 trick or treaters. And we turned off the porch light around 9:30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9:30? You are super nice. I usually turn ours off at 8:00 so I can get everyone to bed at a somewhat normal time.

      Delete
  2. Interesting topic! We've lived in our neighborhood for a very long time. It's fun to see the little goblins get taller each year! I don't mind any age trick or treat-er as long as they are polite. We like to photograph families and then give them their picture later. It's a fun way to bond with neighbors. The knocks on our door usually fizzle around 8:30 so that's when we turn off lights. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    BTW... Happy November! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-being polite is also one of my criteria for getting candy:)

      Delete
  3. The rule growing up was also the "no costume, no candy" rule. Meaning that if we didn't dress up, we couldn't go trick or treating. We apply this rule in our family as well. In fact we jokingly apply this rule to my step-son's friends too.
    Trick or treating around here is 5:00-7:00.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up we weren't allowed to trick-or-treat past 13. However, at that point my cousins and I would dress up and "haunt" Grandma's front yard and hand out candy. That was pretty fun. We live in an apartment right now, so no one comes here--but I would probably give candy to whomever rang the doorbell. I think that I would try to feel out the neighborhood before letting my teenagers trick or treat, but if we lived in an area where they all went out then I'd let my kids...as long as they dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids trick or treat until they are 12, but then they still dress up and hand out candy or just walk around with us and have a good time :)

    ReplyDelete