Monday, July 2, 2012

Southwest Quinoa Salad

I have successfully completed # 9 on my 40 by 40 list: Eat Vegetarian for 30 days. 
I meant to do this as a cooking challange, but it's summer and my hubby was gone for a few weeks, so I didn't really do a lot of cooking.  We ate a lot of grilled cheese and burritos.  By far the best thing I made was this Southwest Quinoa Salad.  It is so good I made it 2 weeks in a row to take to swim meets.  My carnivore husband even loved it and asked for it in his lunch for a few days. 
I based it on this recipe here.

1 cup quinoa
1 tsp cumin
Dressing:
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup EVOO
1/2-1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2-1 chopped jalapeno


1 cups corn
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 diced tomato
2 diced avocados
2 diced cucumbers


Boil 2 cups of water.  Add cumin and quinoa. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes.  Fluff w/ fork and let cool 10 minutes.


Mix together the dressing.  Mix everything together in a large bowl. Chill. Eat.


Best guilt free thing I've eaten in a very long time and the perfect blend of flavors-refreshing and filling. It is way better then it sounds-I promise.









To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It

I am honored to be featured:








12 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I just blogged about quinoa salad similar to this. It's sooo good! Mmm love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy . . . I'll have to give it a try. I've got a quinoa box here that remains unopened . . . gotta do something with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It's my best new recipe from the past several months. Just don't skimp on the avocado.

      Delete
  3. That looks yummy! Newest GFC follower from Ginger Snap Crafts. Love for you to stop by and return the follow. Hosting facebook fan page hop now. Love for you to link up ;0

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. I love Quinoa. I have a great recipe for Mediterranean Quinoa Salad over at my blog. http://www.jamscorner.com/2012/06/mediterranian-quinoa-salad.html

    Have a great evening!

    Julie
    www.jamscorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gonna have to try this...I don't think I've every had quinoa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't have a super-strong taste. tastes a little like brown rice, but is higher in protein.

      Delete
    2. I made it the very same day I read this post. SUPER easy and yummy!! Finding the quinoa on the other hand was not easy! Finally had to ask a store employee and it still took her about 5 minutes to find it. Not in the hot breakfast grains area, nor the pasta section but in the rice section!

      Delete
    3. Glad you liked it! I hate it when I can't find stuff in the grocery store. The other day I couldn't find toothpicks. They are not in the baking aisle-they are by the paper products. I buy my quinoa in the bulk section, but Costco carries it too.

      Delete
  6. Yum!! That looks delicious and super healthy! Love it!

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sp impressed that you were able to accomplish your goal! What a yummy looking recipe too! thanks for joining us a t Uncommon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed with you. I will be featuring this tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete