Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What I'm Reading: Wonder by R. J. Palacio


It is my turn to host book club and I picked Wonder by R.J. Palacio.


Auggie Pullman reminds me of my own boys, he is smart and funny and in love with all things Star Wars. However, he was born with some severe facial deformities. After years of homeschooling, his parents decide that he is ready for main stream school and enroll him in the 5th grade at Beecher Prep.  

I don't think they are making a movie, but here's the trailer for the book:


Given the heavy subject matter, it is surprisingly uplifting, thought provoking and even funny. It is also one of those rare books that both kids and adults will love and you will all be better people for reading it. 5 enthusiastic stars


Here are some of my favorite parts:
"Here's what I think: the only reason I'm not ordinary is that no one else sees me that way." (3)

"When given the choice between being right or being kind. Choose kind." (49)

"the waiter brings over the menus and i notice his expression the moment he lays eyes on august. but i pretend not to notice. i guess we're all pretending not to notice things tonight...i look at olivia and she smiles at me. she knows. she sees the waiter's face.  she sees my tics. olivia is a girl who sees everything." (191)

"Anyway, it's not that I care that people react to me.  Like I've said a gazillion times: I'm used to that by now.  I don't let it bother me.  It's like when you go outside and it's drizzling a little. You don't put on boots for a drizzle.  You don't even ope you umbrella.  You walk through it and barely notice your hair getting wet.

But when it's a huge gym full of parents, the drizzle becomes like this total hurricane.  Everyone's eyes hit you like a wall of water."(207)


In case you want to use it for your bookclub:

Discussion questions found here:
http://rjpalacio.com/for-teachers.html

The author answers FAQ Here: http://rjpalacio.com/faqs.html

Auggie Pullman is obsessed w/ Star Wars and if my house wasn't on the market and I had any excess energy, it would have been super fun to have Star Wars themed treats. Here are some food ideas for a b-day party a few years back.



UPDATE:  Book club was amazing.  My daughter calls it my monthly mom party and she is right.   We had a great discussion and ended the evening w/ us all sharing our precepts.

3 comments:

  1. I have seen that book on the shelves and haven't picked it up yet - that quote about not being normal because others don't see you that way is really thought provoking. I really should start a book club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that book! I made my mom and my sister read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tips Tips Melatih Sabung Ayam Aduan Menjadi Ganas Dan Menakutkan Klik Di Sini

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya http://www.bakarayam.co

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://bakarayam330033.blogspot.com/2018/07/buat-memberikan-otot-pada-pukulan.html

    ReplyDelete