Friday, July 1, 2011

Stars and Stripes Pillows

I wanted to do some kind of patriot inspired pillows for my front bench (yes I know I'm a little late) and I wanted them to have some texture to them.  I played around w/ several ideas, but finally settled on knots.  I just cut some scrap white cotton into 1 1/2 inch strips and then tied a knot. 

Repeat 49 times. That was the easy part then I sewed on all 50 knots (which honestly was a little tedious and boring) to a simple blue pillow I had made. I considered busting out the glue gun, but since it's so hot here, I was worried that they'd melt off.
I'm fine w/ how it turned out, but I'm not doing cartwheels. If I did it again, I would use thicker fabric strips.

 I also wanted to make something w/ stripes on it.  I thought it would be fun to sew on rows of white and red ruffles, but all the knot sewing burnt me out and by this point I was just ready to be finished.  I made another pillow out of some neutral colored cotton.

I taped it off and painted red between the lines.
(Note: If you paint on the floor, you have the added fun of removing paint off the carpet)
Then I removed the tape and painted in white stripes.  I didn't want the lines to look precise.  I loved how it turned it out (almost cartwheel worthy) I don't think it took longer than 5 minutes.  I want to paint another pillow!

15 comments:

  1. I like the blue tape idea! They turned out very festive! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. regular old craft paint (actually the white is gesso, b/c I was out of white paint)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness these look amazing! I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party and would love for you to stop by and join in!
    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/07/red-white-and-blue-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so cute sitting on your bench. What a great way to celebrate America. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cool idea! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How neat. Glad you shared at my newbie party. Happy 4th!~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tara! Came over from the Weekend Warrior party... I love how you just went along where this project took you... it turned out great! Especially like the striped pillow! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is perfect for a porch...
    Don't forget to add it to our weekly party for our readers to discover.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/weekly-talent-search-with-linking-party.html
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pillows are adorable! And they're unlike any of the other patriotic pillows I've seen! I'd love to link up to your project from my site: www.AllFreeHolidayCrafts.com.

    Let me know if that's okay with you!

    Thanks!
    Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. These turned out really cute!!
    Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    I can't wait to see more from you on Sunday!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who doesn't love a cartwheel worthy project? Especially when it turns out so very fun!

    And the knots as stars idea is brilliant!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... Bed Sheets

    ReplyDelete
  14. Little ones don't want to miss anything, so if there's lots of noise or lights, they'll be up and down like the stock market. floor bed

    ReplyDelete