Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What I've Been Reading: Invisible Women, Dystopian Teen Romance Series, and Non-fiction True Crime

My book tastes are a little eclectic.  Here's what I've been reading.

I will start with my favorite. My friend Suzanne picked, Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray for book club. It is about a 54 year-old woman who wakes up one morning to discover that she's invisible.  The worse part is that her husband and children are so caught up in their own lives that they don't even notice. I loved it-it is smart, funny, poignant, and well written, but mostly I loved it because I can so relate. 

I spent the first 23 years of my life as the star-it was all about me and what I could achieve.  When I became a wife and mother, I stopped adding notches to my resume and settled into the supporting actress roll to my husband and children.  If I continue this metaphor to my current state, I think lately my name would most often only show up in the credits under crew (if the janitorial staff or Kraft Services even gets mentioned in the credits). I spend the majority of my time doing a laundry lists of mundane tasks-including way more actually laundry than I'd like. This is the life I chose and I wouldn't trade my life for the spotlight of a high powered career woman, but now and then I have felt a little invisible.  If you sometimes feel like this too, you'll love Calling Invisible Women. I can't wait for book club to hear what everyone else thought.
5 stars






In Devil in the White City, Erik Lawson weaves together the stories of the architect of the 1892 Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer Henry H. Holmes. Reading about the details of planning the fair was tedious for me and I would have appreciated more pictures. The idea that Holmes could kill somewhere between 28-200 people without being caught was disturbingly fascinating. He was the ultimate con-man and psychopath, but unfortunately, no one knows a lot of details about his crimes and there just wasn't much to write about.  I found about as much information on his Wikipedia page, then in reading the almost 400 page book. 
3 stars

Before, I tell you about my next two reads, I would just like to say to all the authors out there: Just because series are all the trend, doesn't mean that you have to write a series. I would prefer a really great book, to a mediocre series.  You can not all be J.K. Rowling.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

 In post-apocalyptic Chicago, people divide themselves into the factions based on the value they feel is most important: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent).  They live in peace for a few generations until human nature creeps in and sparks an all-out war.
 I loved the first one and liked the second slightly less.  The third one really started to drag for me and the ending made me plain mad.  Read the first two and then I will just tell you what should have happened in the third and save you all the time and frustration. I'd give the books, 4 1/2 stars, 4 stars, and 2 1/2 stars.


Legend Trilogy -Marie Lu


Set in the future when global warming has led to mass climate change and about half of the US under Water.  It is the love story of June, a privileged military prodigy and Day, the governments most wanted criminal.  

Better than most dystopian series. I'd give the entire series 4 stars, but the last book only a 3.

What's the best book you've read lately?












2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post - I never have time to go to Good Reads :) I just read, Orphan Train, The Paris Wife and am now just starting The Husbands Secret - The first and last for book club - I liked Orphan Train but am unsure about The Husbands Secret. I read The Paris Wife because I really thought I liked Ernest Hemingway and remember reading a book about Eva Braun (Hitlers Girl) and wondered about Hadley Richardson (E. Hemingway's wife).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tips Tips Melatih Sabung Ayam Aduan Menjadi Ganas Dan Menakutkan Klik Di Sini

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya http://www.bakarayam.co

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://bakarayam330033.blogspot.com/2018/07/buat-memberikan-otot-pada-pukulan.html

    ReplyDelete