Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Italian Soup-UPDATE


Same recipe.  The only thing that is updated in the photo.  I've been learning a lot in my photography class.  I still stink, but at least I know why.




There's lots of versions of this soup out there.  Here's my version. 
1 lb. Italian sausage
1-2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 large potatoes-cubed
2 cans of chicken broth
1 cup milk (or cream)
2 cups chopped Kale

Brown Sausage.  Drain and add onions and garlic.  Add chicken broth and potatoes.  Cook until potatoes are tender.  Right before serving add Kale and milk and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Garnish with Bacon bits and Parmesan cheese.

It's quite a bit lighter than the original, and not quite as salty.  I've also learned that by instead of cooking the bacon in the soup and just by sprinkling a few bacon pieces on top, I get lots of bacon flavor, with out as many calories.
This is a great make-ahead meal.

14 comments:

  1. Oh this looks yummy and light! I like that it only has 7 ingredients too.

     Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going to pass this on to a few friends who are obsessed with their soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves anything with italian sausage! I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for linking up.


    www.cherishedbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious. I've never got the soup at OG, now I might have too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks pretty delicious!!! may have to give it a try!!
    thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. I have never cooked with kale, looks like I better try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl, this soup sounds wonderful. I love all the soups at Olive Garden, and your version just seems delicious.

    Cant' wait to try it out!!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party :)
    I loved this so much, I featured you girl!
    Come grab a button girl, and display it proudly!

    Hugs, Bella **Features from week #38** @ Bella Before and After

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday, I had dinner at the renowned restaurant, Olive Garden. Upon entering, one notices the calm atmosphere and the dim lighting of the area. I went today with my friend because he is leaving for college in a few days.

    Olive Garden printable coupons

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, it looks os good! I feel like I eat soup so often during the winter. Thanks for the recipe! Visiting from My Whims Link up :)

    Lindsay
    LindsayJEVeryday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband loves that soup and it would be great to have less salty version! Thanks for sharing your delish soup with us at A Crafty Soiree. I'm catching up on my "Follows" and am now following your all over town, so to speak :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, yum! Looks just like Olive Garden! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jess here...co-host of "Shine on Fridays" this week! Thanks for linking up!

    This look SO delicious!! It's one of my FAVORITE soups!! I pinned it for later!! :)

    Don't forget to enter my fabric giveaway! :)

    http://www.pluckys-secondthought.com/fabric-giveaway-sponsored-by-fat-quarter-shop-by-the-sea-fat-quarter-bundle/

    ReplyDelete
  14. The soup looks great and so does your photo. I will be featuring this tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete