Monday, May 12, 2014

DIY Glitter Prom Shoes



Several years ago, my daughter found a pair of gold glitter stilettos at Ross for $9.99.  I could think of no practical reason to buy them so we didn't, but she has been fantasizing about them ever since.  
We searched all over town for a pair, but could only find them online and she really wanted to try them on first. We found a pair of "comfort plus" at Payless and a few tutorials on Pinterest, so we thought we'd give it a try. I figured they would either be fabulous or I would be out $29.99.

 
Step 1: Cover the heal w/ painter's tape.
 Step 2: Mix Modge Podge with glitter and paint on the shoe. It was very thick-about like mud.

Step 3: Apply as many coats as needed (here's a pic after the first coat) and let dry between coats. I waited about an hour after the first coat and overnight after the second coat.  I did 3 coats and then covered the entire shoe with a coat of Modge Podge.

I usually hate glitter because it gets everywhere and I told my kid she wasn't allowed to wear them in the house. Shockingly, once the shoes were dry, the glitter was like one solid sheet and didn't flake off. 

There were a few cracks, that I might touch up before she wears them again, but they held up pretty well- even after 8 hours of dancing. 

Stay-tuned for more prom posts-this is the closest I'll ever get to being a fairy-godmother.

UPDATE: Touched them up w/ a little more glitter and Modge Podge and they're good as new.  

10 comments:

  1. How fun is that! They would be perfect for a halloween costume of Dorothy - if they were red of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made some ruby slippers (http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2013/05/no-place-like-home-farewell-night.html) with glitter spray paint, but the glitter flakes off and gets everywhere. I liked this method so much better.

      Delete
  2. Hi Tara! My name is Heather and I wanted to know if you would be able to answer my question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tips Tips Melatih Sabung Ayam Aduan Menjadi Ganas Dan Menakutkan Klik Di Sini

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya http://www.bakarayam.co

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://bakarayam330033.blogspot.com/2018/07/buat-memberikan-otot-pada-pukulan.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We provide a luxurious and beautiful spa and massage centers in all over Dubai Body Massage in Satwa

    ReplyDelete