Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Fresh Mint Brownies-2 Ways


I put have some fresh mint growing in my garden, but I don't do very much with it.  I thought I would try and make some brownies out of it:

#1
3/4 cup butter
A few sprigs of mint
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp bkg pwdr
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter and let mint leaves.  Let mint soak in butter on low for about 5 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and bake in greased pan at 350 for 40 minutes.

The mint flavor was very subtle.


#2
Make brownies, except leave out the mint.  Bake in mini-muffin tins at 350 for 8-9 minutes.

Allow to cool.

Southern Living's Cream Cheese Frosting
8oz soften cream cheese
1/2 cup butter softened
16 oz powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.  Add sugar and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.

And a dollop of frosting to each brownie bite and garnish with chopped fresh mint.


Enjoyment of the brownies seemed to be divided along gender lines. The girls in my house loved both brownies.  The boys hated them and acted like I was ruining perfectly good brownies by topping them with salad.  


4 comments:

  1. 'topping them with salad' How funny! I think I would love both! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    I am co hosting a linky party today. If you have time, I'd love for you to join the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to figure out if I would like this or not...for some reason I don't like "real" mint that much, so I'm guess maybe not. but for the sake of eating a brownie I'm always willing to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MINT! I love this recipe!

    I finally made it back from my trip so my comments are late...
    Thanks for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist! Looking forward to seeing what you share this week!

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/06/tuesdays-with-twist-12-with-more-guests.html

    ReplyDelete